• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 318
Total: 318

Fish Breeding Software

Started by BallAquatics, January 02, 2013, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Does anyone use software to keep track of your breeding projects?  I've been toying with the idea of writing a program or more likely, making an on-line program to keep track of my breeding records.  Since the fish I've been spawning for the last couple of years are all egg scatters that spawn in groups, the database I currently use is not set-up for "pair breeding" species.

Anyone interested in working on a project such as this?

Dennis

Mugwump

I use a calendar in the hatchery, and a spreadsheet for record keeping...I should import it to a database proggie for individual pair history...but I've been tardy with my entries, a lot to catch up on.....I like spreadsheets, simple, accurate,easily to search,etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

I've seen some breeding/care record phone apps.... :/

If you make your own that sounds awesome! :D
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mir on January 02, 2013, 07:00:46 PM
I've seen some breeding/care record phone apps....
Such as? Do you know the names Mir?
Josh

Mir

Quote from: Jdmcfast on January 02, 2013, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: Mir on January 02, 2013, 07:00:46 PM
I've seen some breeding/care record phone apps....
Such as? Do you know the names Mir?
Eh, not really. They just showed up among my search results in the Google store as I was looking for reptile stuff. I could try to look again and see what a few of them are. I haven't downloaded and tried any so idk if they're any good. xP
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BillT

I have been thinking about making a filemaker database for tracking fish in tanks, their lineages, genetics, care and husbandry, etc. Having been involved in planning/making a few databases for lab use I know some of the things I would want to avoid/include, but I have not really had to time to get very far with it.

I would be interested in hearing what you have in mind Dennis.

Personally, I like the idea of using filemaker because I understand the program, it is easy to use, and it should not be that difficult to get it to work on my iPad (there is a free app for that) for walking around with it in the fish room.

I have looked but have not found an iPad app for tracking breeding and relatedness information, but it was a while ago.

As it is now I use a nomenclature system that encodes the main information I am interested in as the name on a tank label, such as XL F3, meaning the F3 offspring from X line crossed to L line. This is obviously limited and can't handle a lot of complexity.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on January 03, 2013, 05:44:56 PM
I would be interested in hearing what you have in mind Dennis.

Well I don't really have anything in mind.....  I guess I was just throwing it out there to see what everyone else was doing.

Currently, I'm using an on-line database I put together several years ago.  It's on-line so it would work with anything
capable of accessing the internet, not limited to Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.).

It's nothing fancy, just the basics of keeping track of some livestock.....

It just who, what,  when, where and how many for the fish.....

For spawns it's very basic too.....

If I was working with fish that spawn in pairs it would be easy to set up.  It's working with a spawning group that has caused me some problems getting my head around it I guess???

I'm thinking of modifying it so that I have:

• Livestock - These could be fish for sale or new fish acquired from an outside source.

• Breeders - These would be actual breeder groups.

• Spawn Records - These would the same as my spawning data now, but fish would move from here to either Livestock to be sold on
    or selected to become a memeber of a Breeders group.

Dennis

Mugwump

Looks good, Dennis and serves the purpose...counts by 'group' are probably the best that you can hope for....do you occasionally mix/combine groups?
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 05, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
....do you occasionally mix/combine groups?

Not with the wild caught fish.  When I start selecting F1's I will often mix with F1's from other wild caught parents.  Once they are in a group, if they are productive and producing quality offspring I don't break them up or mix with others.

Dennis

BillT

Looks nice Dennis.

What you want to get out of your database in addition to what it already does should probably guide any modifications you might make.

I was considering the following goals:
1) be able to track groups of fish (a stock) or individuals (a substock); however this required an additional table
2) to track more than one kind of fish in a tank, this also required an additional table
3) to track which tank they are in, requiring another table
4) ability to track genetics, when appropriate (several more tables)
5) track success in different breeding/raising conditions (I try different things for different species; more tables)

All this however makes for more tables and a more complex project, thus not quickly completed.

Jdmcfast

Dennis is this online software something that we/other people can access or is this setup for strictly personal use? Sorry I guess I don't understand exactly how it works but it looks like it would be helpful, and better than a notebook lol
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on January 08, 2013, 11:35:17 AM
Dennis is this online software something that we/other people can access or is this setup for strictly personal use? Sorry I guess I don't understand exactly how it works but it looks like it would be helpful, and better than a notebook lol

Josh, I agree.....by the by, never underestimate the power of 'notepad' either....great little tool....
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jdmcfast on January 08, 2013, 11:35:17 AM

Right now it's just set-up so that I can get into it.  If there was enough interest, we could probably set something up here at Mugwump's???  Maybe one of those perks like Pauline was talking about.

Basically, being on-line, just means I can access it from any computer that has internet access.  All the programming is on the WEB server and nothing is installed on the client computer.....  clear as mudd!

Dennis