• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 05:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

New 75 Gallon Amazon Set Up

Started by PaulineMi, January 01, 2013, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

It's fun to do. Make sure you show us how you set yours up when you get it started.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Where are the Discus?  You need Discus!

When Discus people make a tank like this they use sand rather than gravel.  Sand is easy peasy to vacuum.  All the poop and left over food stays on top.  Water quality is better because stuff doesn't fall into the gravel and rot.  They use no plants at all.  Just sand and drift wood.  The leaves are a good idea.  Water in the amazon is chuck full of tannins.  Many people put a bag of peat in their water storage container for that tank.  The fish like it a lot.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

I have two tanks with sand bottoms and have managed to ruin filters with it in both tanks. This tank came with all the gravel for the substrate so I used it...after lots of sanitizing and running the tank with a UV sterilizer. 

I have peat in addition to the driftwood and leaf litter. Setting up this tank is the culmination of a year's worth of thinking and planning...all with angels in mind. I will have an empty 55 in another month or so. From what I've read that's too small for discus unless it's a used for a pair....right?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

I will ask people who have tanks like this what kind of filtration they use.  I always figured that they used canisters but I never really paid attention.  Maybe it has to do with the type of sand, too.  I don't know, but I will find out.  What type of filters did you use?

Good for you for adding the peat.  The water will turn tea colored.  It's a beautiful, natural look.

The rule of thumb for Discus is one adult per 10 gallons.  Your 55 could hold 5 adults.  Keep on top of your WC and you could go with 6.

PaulineMi

I use Marineland Emperor and Penguin biowheel filters on the sand and gravel tanks in the backroom. My 90 gallon family room tank runs on 2 Eheim. cannisters

Concerning discus...I'm on well water which is the equivalent of liquid rock. I'm not interested in raising fry for a multitude of reasons. My 16 angels, shipped from various breeders, have been raised from dime and quarter size in this water. Once, just to try it, I raised a small spawn. Things are going very well with the water I have even to a point where there's always a pair spawning in one of the tanks. Would major changes in my water be required for discus?

Frequent water changes aren't a problem. Neither is changing substrate and background now that I found out about peppering. It's not being able to use tap water that would be the deal breaker. The thought of watching such a majestic fish wither away in unfavorable conditions hurts my heart.

Mugwump

I know Chicago discus keepers use tap water to keep them, but will use a R/O mix to breed.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The only time RO is necessary is for breeding.  The thing about Discus needing soft water is a myth that refuses to die.  They do perfect;ly well in hard water.

PaulineMi

Hard water is okay... ;D. I may just have a plan for the empty 55 once I complete the 75 and move fish around. ::)

Liz...thanks for the info. I'll be in touch re quality discus sources.

LizStreithorst

I'll get you fixed up right when you're ready.  I know the quality of the fish the various importers bring in.  I can't wait for you to do this.  It will be as much fun watching you as buying fish for myself.  Please don't want caught.  I can't help you with them. 

PaulineMi

No wild caught here.  It will be tank bred all the way.

LizStreithorst

You know what's funny?  I'm more excited about the prospect of you doing this than you are.  I can't wait until it makes it's way to your front burner.

Mugwump

Me too...it's nice to watch it all come together...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson