• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 12:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 246
Total: 246

New 75 Gallon Amazon Set Up

Started by PaulineMi, January 01, 2013, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I've wanted to set up a blackwater Amazon biotope tank for awhile. Thought it would be fun to journal it here.

New tank, bare canvas, being checked for leaks.  All went well.

First pieces of driftwood.  More will be added as soon as they arrive.

Added some rocks and gravel. While sand would be more appropriate I've ruined too many filters with it.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

PaulineMi

Set some leaf litter in the tank and start adding water.

Realized a little late that an outer cement wall is pretty cold.  Wrapped the tank so heaters could get the water warm.

Tank is cycled so a dozen Pristella tetras and a foursome of corydoras loxozonus were added. Both are Orinoco species.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

PaulineMi

There will be Italian vals planted throughout the tank when I get them ordered.  In the meantime I stuck some plastic plants in the tank to make it a more comfortable environment for the fish.

The cories were kind of frantic without plant cover.

Happier cories coming to the front of the tank after the plastic plants were added.

Mugwump

Nice job, I like it....I've been wanting to get some oak leaves, and such....someday, I'll try one too....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Nice Job, I would like to try the leaf litter to. I'm just always scared that I would screw it up and kill everything. I also like your Pristella tetras. I had six of them then sold them to a coworker and he managed to kill them all off. 
Scott

PaulineMi

Awwww ...  that's too bad about your pristellas. I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that they're not at all shy. Most likely it's a safety in numbers thing.  I read that they are shoaling fish that will school when feeling threatened. I've seen both behaviors, the schooling occurred when I added a few more leaves. However when the leaves were in place they immediately let their curiosity get the best of them and checked them out. Really cute little fish.

BallAquatics

Nice job Pauline.  Great photos too, thanks for sharing!

Dennis

PaulineMi

Thanks Dennis.

Today I plan on getting a sheet of insulation to put on the back, bottom and the side of the tank that doesn't show. I'm hoping to get that huge ugly heater out of there. If it can't be removed could it be placed horizontally near the substrate?

Next week the plants get ordered.  Then it's going to be time to practice patience while awaiting the successful spawn of Jon's wilds. I currently have 2 wild cross beauties I can add after I'm sure the pristellas and cories are healthy.

One thing I can't decide on....adding a BN pleco. I have them in a couple tanks. Do they have superior pros that outweigh their cons? I do like them though.

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 02, 2013, 08:36:37 AM
I'm hoping to get that huge ugly heater out of there. If it can't be removed could it be placed horizontally near the substrate?

Honestly, in the few tanks that I have that have heaters, that's exactly how I install them.  I put mine in like that so that I can do massive water changes and the heater is still submerged.  For what it's worth, it's always worked very well for me...

Dennis

PaulineMi

I've seen photos with heaters placed low and horizontal.  It's good to hear first hand experience. That low horizontal position would work well with angelfish. They choose to spawn on whatever vertical item that strikes their fancy.

b125killer

If the heater is fully submersible you can put it where ever you want. I have BN's in every tank I have. They do a great job at cleaning.
Another tetra that I like is the Von Rio tetra. There real skittish, and don't look like much in the pet store. But when they get use to there surroundings and there color comes out they are pretty fish. I'm not sure if there the same biotope though. 
Scott

PaulineMi

I looked up the Von Rio terra. Very pretty. I had Hyphessobrycon robertsi which had very similar temperaments. Very skittish but when in the right environment they were beautiful.

Thanks for the heater and BN input. There will be a lot of wood in the tank and my concern is how dirty BNs can be. There's a layer of plant substrate under the gravel. Deep gravel cleaning could be difficult.  Decisions, decisions.

Mugwump

The BN's shouldn't disturb the gravel surface much...but they can be poop machines when eating well....but it siphons up real easy off the gravel..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Some additional driftwood was added today.  Next week plants will arrive which will add a little color to the tank.

shatanka

It's looking great Pauline! I am so envious! I have been wanting to do the same thing. You've got a head start on me! lol