• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

A question about Charlotte

Started by LizStreithorst, March 06, 2015, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Towing is always safer. How long has it been since you added fluid the first time.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

I added it Saturday afternoon after work.  When I added it this afternoon after work I saw it flowing out from her underside.  I'll likely have her towed but I may take a look over the weekend and see if I can find where it's coming out and decide if I can patch it.  It's only 12 miles to my mechanic.  If I get stuck half way I can hoof it back home and have the towing folks take her in.

That is, if I won't do damage to her.  If I might hurt her trying this I'll have her towed.  I love Charlotte.  I would never risk doing her harm.
Always move forward. Never look back.

EdKaz

Have it towed.......

If ole charlotte is visibly leaking, and the fluid gets low enough...........not only might you not have a clutch to Engage the trans into a gear, You might wind up with no useful clutch pedal making it TOUGH to take her OUT of gear (think stop sign/light......or oh shit there's the neighbors kid on his bike and I gotta stop NOW). SURE she'll stop, but not as quickly or easily as you are used to......and surprises like THAT, would suck.

Got a hitch on the van? Maybe rent a tow dolly, drive her up on it and tow it to the shop yourself for $20 or so?

LizStreithorst

The diesel van is a beast.  He can tow and has towed huge loads over mountains!  He won't even know that he is towing little ole Charlotte.  My mechanic may have one he can loan me.  I'll ask him.  It will be a lot more fun if I can get Charlotte into him all by myself.  It will make me feel not so damn helpless.

JR

Ed is right if you can see the leak it is not safe to drive.

Mugwump

Yep,...just have it towed ......it's just plain easier, and safer........................
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

She has an appointment with the towing gentlemen Monday.  The guy I spoke to is the one whose dog I groom.  I told him about being worried about his big truck getting bogged down in my pasture while turning around.  It's rained all week and we're supposed to get more tomorrow ::)  He said that they could use the small truck with the winch.  That'll work.  I can pour in more fluid and get Charlotte in a good position for him to hook up to.

I'm really looking forward to this.  I have a long list of stuff for my man to fix:
cluch fluid leak
windsheild wipers that work, usually
AC leak (he added a dye last time so he'd be able to find it)
Fix windows which need every moving and non moving part
check timing (she was knocking for a while, then quit knocking)
oil change.  It's a little early but might as well have it done while he has her.
put in a new radio
give me an estimate on replacing my idiot lights with a real instrument panel

I know I'll spend a bundle.  Most folks don't think she's much.  I love her.  She's old but still beautiful to me.

Mugwump

We have a 99 blazer....sun roof, etc....most everything still working too, except the A/C pump...I'll swap that out this spring.......starts quick every time, even at way below zero temps....it's a good old Chevy bang around, garage sale, the store, haul this, and tow that car.....love it..... ;D....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

lol, my newer vehicle is a '99.  He's a beast.  A 99' Ford diesel extra long cargo van.  He has only had serious problems 3 times but each time he left me in the lurch.  Diesels are expensive to fix!  Charlotte had the decency to break in her own driveway and aside from the windows and the instrument panel will not to be too hard on my wallet.

GraphicGr8s

I've got an 89 Cheby van G20 that I recently resurrected after years of sitting in the barn. Changed the fuel sending unit and pump a few months ago but didn't start her up. Rusted the thing out and killed a brand new pump. Changed it out. Again and it started right up. AC needs a fill but that should be it.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

How wonderful for the van.  May it live long and prosper.  Have you given it a name?

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 14, 2015, 05:20:49 PM
How wonderful for the van.  May it live long and prosper.  Have you given it a name?

I don't name inanimate objects. They're all "she" and depending on the day a couple other names. :D
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

I name vehicles.  The S-10 is Charlotte.  The van is male.  He's The Beast.  If it's warm and sunny tomorrow The Beast gets a good bath.  He needs and deserves one.  It will be quite the job.  He's huge and very dirty.  I bought him seat covers today.  They ain't great but they look better than the seats he came with.  He's been a good boy.  I shouldn't have neglected him like I have.

GraphicGr8s

All machines are "she". Sometimes referred to as a word that rhymes with "witch" depending on how "she" is acting. Mine has the 350 in her. But it's an 89. Back when they had low to no HP. But it did tow my boat without a hiccup. 80 down the road and straight as an arrow. Rebuilt the tranny back around 120,000 and my buddy that did it said that was about double what he normally saw out of that tranny. Of course now my 02 dakota POS needs at least a shift solenoid at that requires an update. Might as well just rebuild that one but $$$ are tight.

JR

This is my baby.  36 Cord have had her for a very long time. Will never let her go.