• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 11:23:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 138
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 113
Total: 115

A question about Charlotte

Started by LizStreithorst, March 06, 2015, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I was on my driveway coming home from work when my 2 little dogs came barreling up the road to greet me as usual.  I stopped to let them in the truck, as usual, put Charlotte in 1st let out the clutch and she died.  I thought, "shit, I let out the clutch too fast".  Then it happened again and I thought, "what am I not in 1st?"  So I put her in neutral and then she wouldn't go into any gear!  I panic with car trouble so I'm not sure what I did.  I think I turned her off restarted her and everything was fine.

Later I wanted to see if she was strong enough to pull my big van out of a hole (don't ask)  When I tried to put her in gear, it happend again, then she self healed again.

Am I crazy or is this something terribly serious?  Like I said, I panic when I break down.  I always have to ask my poor dear neighbor to come to the resuce.  They are very gracious and act like it's nothing, but I hate it.

I got the van dug out of the hole.  Little ole' Charlotte didn't have near the power.  It was obvious so I quit trying after like 2 seconds.  At least I got the van dug out so I can drive him to work in the morning.  But what about Charlotte?  Does she need to see a professional and if so who, a transmission shop or my normal mechanic who knows and loves her?  Or am I slam crazy?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

The phooglebopper thingy isn't engaging the toollywhopper correctly.....I'll guess a simple one....throwout bearings.....JR will come along and chime in .....

clutch fluid??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You are a calming influence on me, Mug. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 06, 2015, 05:52:05 PM
You are a calming influence on me, Mug.

Well I didn't want to frighten you by suggesting it was the ishkabibble.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I was prepared to replace the entire ishkabibble if I had to.  I know they're terribly expensive to replace, though not as expensive as automatic ishkabibbles.  It's much less of a worry to find out it's likely the phooblebopper not engaging the tooleywhopper. 

When I bought her last June I had my man replace all her bodily fluids.  He didn't say anything about finding any leaks.  Is there a dip stick for the clutch fluid and if I look under her bonnet will I be able to find it? 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 06, 2015, 07:13:14 PM
I was prepared to replace the entire ishkabibble if I had to.  I know they're terribly expensive to replace, though not as expensive as automatic ishkabibbles.  It's much less of a worry to find out it's likely the phooblebopper not engaging the tooleywhopper. 

When I bought her last June I had my man replace all her bodily fluids.  He didn't say anything about finding any leaks.  Is there a dip stick for the clutch fluid and if I look under her bonnet will I be able to find it?

What make model and year is it??...
Jon

Mugwump

Look near the master brake cylinder unit on the driver side near the firewall...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'll look tomorrow.  She's a Chevy S10 1989 with the little 4 cylinder. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 06, 2015, 07:23:24 PM
I'll look tomorrow.  She's a Chevy S10 1989 with the little 4 cylinder.

yep...near the master brake cylinder unit on the driver side near the firewall..sometimes the line needs bleeding too....your friendly mechanic can handle that.......or he'll be able to tell if the unit is bad...??
Jon

LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst

Poor Charlotte, all she needed was fluid.  Apparently it had been leaking in the past because there was a bottle of the stuff wedged in a corner under her bonnet.  From now on, when I check her oil I'll check the clutch fluid as well.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 07, 2015, 03:12:13 PM
Poor Charlotte, all she needed was fluid.  Apparently it had been leaking in the past because there was a bottle of the stuff wedged in a corner under her bonnet.  From now on, when I check her oil I'll check the clutch fluid as well.

+1 +1..... ;D
Jon

ilroost

Well that was a cheap easy fix. Thank God!!

LizStreithorst

I got in her to drive to work this morning and the pedal felt wrong so I took the van instead.  This afternoon I checked the level of the clutch fluid and it was low again.  I poured more in and looked at her underside and saw it dripping out :(  There is no emergency.  I have the van.  I actually feel much better knowing where the problem lies.

My question is, next Monday, on my day off, do I dare drive her from home to my man in Ellisville 12 miles away if I take a couple of bottles of fluid with me or should I have her towed?  The towing folks have been here twice to rescue the van.  I'm a repeat customer ::)  I'll have to wait for it to dry out here before I can ask them to come.  We've had nothing but rain and it will continue to rain until Friday.

Mugwump

Jon