• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:11:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

Who'd have Thunk?

Started by LizStreithorst, January 01, 2013, 12:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Who'd have thunk that after the baby bristlenose had chowed on the zucchini for a while the Discus would attack it?  And I mean they attacked it.  Once it got to a certain degree of softness they picked it up and shook it violently until a small piece broke off that they could eat.  Imagine...
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Weird,huh?...I've had some angels go after it too....especially angel fry...they love it....LOL..eat your greens, kids...or no dessert... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have a couple of other intriguing food stories.  The first is kinda long....

I was setting up a planted 125 at the shop.  I decided to use 4 year old rotted goat poop under the substrait as fertilizer for the plants.  Aparently I used too much.  The next morning the water was black.  It continued to be black for the next 3 days.  I decided I'd test it.  I figured that it would be full of amonia.  It was not.  I don't remember nitrite and nitrate but I guess they were fine.  Ammonia was 0.  The following evening I introduced a group of dime size Angles from home to that tank.  I fully expected them to be dead the next morning.  Instead, the next morning the water was crystal clear.  My assumption is that the baby fish ate all the little bitty things in the water.  To this day, 3 years later, the water in that tank is tea colored and the parameters are Ammonia 0, NItrate 0, Nitrate .5.

I had Discus fry that were too young to leave their parents sides for BBS.  Probably 3 days old...I got this wild hair and decided to thow some vermicompost into the tank.  God only knows what I was thinking.  I just remember thinking that I could always suck it out and do a huge WC if I didn't like how the fish reacted.  To my astonishment, the fry left their parent's sides and chowed down on the vermicompost.  I have pics!  I tried it again the next day, but they ignored it so I sucked it out.  They were all hot for BBS by that time.

Jdmcfast

My angels attack zucchini also! So do my RH Tapajos. They also really enjoy collard greens!
Josh

Mir

Those are neat stories! lol... My betta even tries to eat veggies! Silly carnivore, zucchini is for plecos and snails!
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

LizStreithorst

Guess what?  Discus eat cucumber, too.  I have yet to see the baby plecos in the Discus tank on a slice of vegetable.  Either they are on the veggies during the night or they are getting what they need from the sides of the tank.

Mir

My plecos are nocturnal. I'll put a piece in there and they won't touch it all day, but then when I wake up in the morning it magically disappears. :D
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'