• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 323
Total: 323

Routing air

Started by GraphicGr8s, March 02, 2015, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

So the fish house is 14' x 20'. There is a room inside on the back left that is about 5' x 13'. You can see that in the thread on the fish house. The main area has 14 tanks on the rack in the other picture and more tanks on the opposite wall. Can you do straight runs or is a loop best?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

It generally thought that a loop is best for even air distribution and wear & tear on your pump.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Dennis what is the reasoning behind that? No. For once I am not being smart. I want to know. I've not done a central pump before. I've also never had so many tanks (and filters) running :) My max was 20 back in a 3 room apartment.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BallAquatics

The primary benefit of a loop is that air pressure is maintained evenly in a system that does not have any dead ends.  With even pressure through out the loop, adjustments to one valve will not affect all the others.

You might also want to install a pressure gauge and a bleed-off valve in your loop.  If you bleed off any excess air, lowering the total system pressure, your pump will be much happier and live a longer life with less maintenance needed.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

A loop is recomemded but I don't use a loop and have no complaints.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Mine's not looped either....but it is "T"d in the middle where my pump is at....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mine's like yours, Mug.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Makes sense Dennis. Now to figure out how to get a loop in that room. Well that and buy the  pump.

JC

I've ran a loop before and now I have a straight shot. Only difference I notice between the two is like Dennis said if you adjust one valve you'll see a difference on another which only happened once to me. Other than that one instance I feel like there's no difference. I've always heard a loop is better for all the reasons Dennis mentioned but mine works like a charm

BillT

A loop will allow your air system to supply air to a valve from two directions.
This makes less of a pressure difference at the valve, if you change other valves (within limits).

You could probably get a very similar effect by using a larger supply valve.
The larger pipe size will reduce the pipe's resistance to air flow .
This will reduce the pressure drops from valve to valve.

You could also run a loop by having both sides of the loop running parallel to each other and have them join at the end.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on March 05, 2015, 01:47:18 PM
A loop will allow your air system to supply air to a valve from two directions.
This makes less of a pressure difference at the valve, if you change other valves (within limits).

You could probably get a very similar effect by using a larger supply valve.
The larger pipe size will reduce the pipe's resistance to air flow .
This will reduce the pressure drops from valve to valve.

You could also run a loop by having both sides of the loop running parallel to each other and have them join at the end.

That was along the lines I was thinking. A loop doesn't always have to be round.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 05, 2015, 03:16:06 PM
A loop doesn't always have to be round.

Ain't that the truth.....  You should see mine, it goes down one end of the racks across and then back up the other and off to the next rack to repeat the process.  LOL  But, if you straighten it all out, it's a continuous loop.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

So last night I pulled the trigger on the AP100. Question now is what size pipe? 1/2 or 3/4 pvc?

Mugwump

I think that you'll find that most use at least 3/4" , with some using even 1"......I don't use PVC...I'm sure others will chime in....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I use 3/4 in the whole fish room.  The pump has a 3/4 outlet.....

Dennis