• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Shipping plants

Started by Mugwump, January 01, 2013, 06:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I don't recall our getting any plants in cold weather. Has anyone done this??...Are a lot of heat packs used to prevent freezing?...etc..just like fish??..I would think so...any special acclimation needed? other than soaking for vermin..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

When it gets cold, I ship them just like fish...  insulated box with a heat pack.

Dennis

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 01, 2013, 09:13:31 AM
Do you soak in PP?

I do a mild bleach dip, then soak in a mild salt water solution
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

It's been so long since I last got any new plants, I can't remember when.  I do remember that I was in the habit of putting new plants in a quarantine tank.  Back then I was keeping lots of fresh water dwarf shrimp and every so often you'd hear where someone got some new plants and they killed all their shrimp.  Many of the big plant suppliers treat their plants before shipping and the snail and general pest treatments they use are also lethal to shrimp.  Plenty of fresh water and a month or so in a quarantine tank would remove the toxins.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Wow!  That commercial plant treatment info is new to me...and scarey. 

Jon, for how long do you soak your plants?

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

The bleach dip...about 15mins....the salt soak...a week or so, changing water and rinsing/checking the plants for vermin......then they'll all go in one tank for a week, to make sure.....usually does the trick....it's all about looking for anything happening with the plant/leaves/roots,etc...checking for overall health too.....sickly weak plants get tossed....
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 01, 2013, 01:33:00 PM
Wow!  That commercial plant treatment info is new to me...and scarey.

Yea, it's got something to do with the treatment they use to remove/kill snails if I remember correctly.  There was even a write-up on PFK...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4831

Just Google "plants kill shrimp" and you'll come up with lots of hits on the shrimp forums.

Dennis