• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 01:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

synodontis

Started by ilroost, December 15, 2012, 08:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Origin Lake Tanganyika
Size Rarely over 3.5 inches
Sexual Differences Females chubbier and darker
Temperature 75 to 80 F.  Warm up a bit to spawn.
Attitude Very active day and night
Security Likes caves
Foods Heavy eater
pH Prefers higher pH
Biggest Threat Dirty water
Breeding Comments Lots of babies for such a small catfish

Groups.  Most people keep petricolas as singles because of their high price.  Petricolas prefer to hang in groups.  The more the merrier, but their high price keeps their numbers low for most people.

Water.  Since petricolas came from Lake Tanganyika, you know they prefer a high pH.  Word of caution:  Organics (ammonia and nitrite) present a huge problem at high pH levels.  Make frequent and large water changes if you expect to keep these guys.  Ditto with your African cichlids.  Since both these types of fish eat (and digest) great quantities of food, they can be their own worst enemies.  Change their water often.

Tank Decor.  Unlike many catfishes, Synodontis petricolas prefer to spend their days cruising.  They enjoy rockwork and caves as much as the next catfish (and African cichlids).  Petricola means rock dweller.  They accept flower pots with or without notches in them also.

Tank Mates.  Keep your petricolas with African cichlids ? especially the Tanganyikans.  They like the same water conditions.  Or, keep them with regular community fishes.

Food.  In Lake Tanganyika, petricolas apparently devour snails.  In captivity they eat nearly any food offered.  They eat food from the floor of their tank (and from the surface).

Breeding Reports.  We?ve never bred petricolas ourselves.  Others have bred them as ?cuckoos? like the S. multipunctatus a very similar Synodontis from Lake Tanganyika .  The fry seem too small to eat the eggs of other fishes.  And much larger spawns have been reported by breeding them in ?flower pots.?

Breeding Setup.  You need a bare tank and two containers ? a clear one on the bottom full of dark marbles and the other on top as a lid.  Of course, you need an opening in the top one for the breeders to access this catfish boudoir.  You need two of these so you can change them daily ? partially checking for eggs, partially for getting rid of their waste products.

Fry Survival.  Eggs hatch in 24 hours.  Due to their small size, they will need infusoria and microworms their first week or two.  You can then add newly hatched brine shrimp which they will need for two or three months.  Then start converting them to larger foods -- live, frozen, flake, etc.  They grow very slowly.

Last Comments. Clean water is essential to keeping most Synodontis catfishes ? especially if you keep them at the 8+ pH levels found in Lake Tanganyika.  And petricolas like to travel in schools.  They stay most active in larger groups.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on December 16, 2012, 08:08:35 PM
I found this on them. I didn't know there where so many species of Synodontis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featherfin_squeaker

LOL...good link..I found the other one at 'Planetcatfish'...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

i feed mine just about anything i got, they don't seem to picky. flakes, algea wafers, shrimp pellets, whatever !!!