• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

Cheetah in Super Slow Motion

Started by BillT, February 22, 2015, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Here's a link to a slowed down view of a Cheetah running.
There are two videos: one has people talking about what's going on and in some frames shows an overlay of its skeleton (which I think is pretty cool), the second (Director's Cut) has more of the running, no explanation, but show how they filmed it at the end.

http://goodnature.nathab.com/video-slow-motion-capture-of-a-running-cheetah/

Mugwump

Thanks Bill....I have always liked the big cats.....our favorite time at the zoo is feeding time at the 'big cat' house......the roars are deafening....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

LizStreithorst

There's no point in me even trying to view the vidios on Old Faithful with her satilite connection.  I looked hard at the stills.  This cat has a body like a spring.  It's stride is amazing.  It bunches down to it's rear feet in front of it's fore feet and reaches out like nothing I have ever seen.  I wonder why they are such poor mothers.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 22, 2015, 07:44:10 PM
There's no point in me even trying to view the vidios on Old Faithful with her satilite connection.  I looked hard at the stills.  This cat has a body like a spring.  It's stride is amazing.  It bunches down to it's rear feet in front of it's fore feet and reaches out like nothing I have ever seen.  I wonder why they are such poor mothers.

...kids are hard to catch??????............ ???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I wonder why they are such poor mothers.

Probably has something to do with the population bottleneck.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 22, 2015, 07:53:35 PM

Dennis

I don't know what a population bottleneck is.  Does it mean that they need out crossing?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 22, 2015, 07:59:53 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on February 22, 2015, 07:53:35 PM

Dennis

I don't know what a population bottleneck is.  Does it mean that they need out crossing?

A good explanation here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck
Jon

PaulineMi

My satellite service didn't allow for a smooth data flow so I couldn't watch the videos either. However I used to be very interested in sight hound anatomy, Salukis, Borzoi, Afghan Hounds, Greyhounds... These breeds were originally independent desert hunters. Speed, flexibility and vision were necessary for hunting success. It's their long loin and its strong musculature that would be compared to that of the cheetah. We used to course the dogs in huge open fields. Their movement and single mindedness was breathtaking.

There's so much beauty in the athleticism of these animals.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 22, 2015, 07:59:53 PM
I don't know what a population bottleneck is.

This is also from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah

The cheetah has unusually low genetic variability. This is accompanied by a very low sperm count, motility, and deformed flagella.[14] Skin grafts between unrelated cheetahs illustrate the former point, in that there is no rejection of the donor skin. It is thought that the species went through a prolonged period of inbreeding following a genetic bottleneck during the last ice age. This suggests that genetic monomorphism did not prevent the cheetah from flourishing across two continents for thousands of years.[15]

Dennis

BillT

I had read somewhere that the cheetah breeding population dropped to 10,000 at one point, which sounds like a lot, but caused the inbreeding.

For those who could not view the video: in the film, they talk about the very long stride of the cheetah and how it back acts like a spring.

Quotesight hound anatomy, Salukis, Borzoi, Afghan Hounds, Greyhounds... These breeds were originally independent desert hunters. Speed, flexibility and vision were necessary for hunting success. It's their long loin and its strong musculature that would be compared to that of the cheetah.

I never heard of this group before, but it makes sense they would be related. I never even heard of Salukis before that basketball team did so well a few years ago. They are really impressive animals, like the Cheetahs.
The part showing how they made the film showed how they set up and tract for the camera dolley to ride on in parallel to where they were dragging a fake prey animal for the cheetah to chase, also like greyhounds.