• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Water treatment

Started by Mugwump, January 01, 2013, 06:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What does everyone use??...Prime..Amquel??...other?....also, who uses aged water as well?...do you pre heat it too?

I use Prime powder called 'Safe'...inexpensive and very reliable for eliminating any chlorine,etc..I age water in smaller amounts too, and preheat the aged water to tank temp.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I use rain & well water...  no chemicals needed.  I like to have around 200+ gallons of water aging at any given time.  In the winter, I use heaters to warm the aged water, but in the summer it gets to room temperature pretty quick without them.  Almost all of my tanks are unheated, so room temperature is the same as tank temperature.

I've got too many tanks to do all my water changes in one day anymore, so the 200+ gallons of aged water works out to just about the right amount most of the time.

Dennis

Mugwump

""I've got too many tanks to do all my water changes in one day anymore, so the 200+ gallons of aged water works out to just about the right amount most of the time.""

I do some changes daily..fry,grow outs,etc...but generally do everything else at one time. I'm pushing 1500 gal currently and it takes about 3 hrs, or so, to do them all...biggest time waster is refilling the 100 gal. 'tub'...8-9 times...LOL...but I've got the routine down now,,,siphon/clean while filling and then gravity siphoning while re filling...yada yada.I run my tap through sediment and carbon filters, then to the tub..so I only use the Prime when weather dictates that the city might be over treating...or flushing hydrants..you can smell the chlorine on some days..sheesh

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

I used to use mostly Prime, but now that I have more tanks I just get API conditioner drops because it's cheapest. But I don't have enough tanks or room to buy powder in bulk or age water properly. xP
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Mugwump

The 'Safe' powder is only about 29$ on Amazon....for a kilo....1/4 tsp treats 75 gallons...LOL...one bottle does something like 250,000 gallons...cheap, and stores well too.....
Jon

Mir

oooo neat. :) I'll see about it, though I don't order much online.
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Mugwump

Jon

Barb

I use Safe too, works great all the time.  Very economical too.
Barb

Mir

<3 Miranda

b125killer

I use Safe too. I also have used API Water Conditioner. When I get a proper fish room running I'm going to make a spot for aged water. I would also like to get a R/O system set up.
Scott

Jdmcfast

I also use safe. Has any one figured out a formula for mixing very small batches to make up a bottles of prime with safe?
Josh

LizStreithorst

I age 250 gallons of water daily plus 60 gallons of RO.  I age the tap by aerating it and heating it.  I use safe when I use tap.  It's not necessary with RO.
Always move forward. Never look back.

greydragon