• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Otocinclus Catfish, Otto Cat

Started by Mugwump, December 28, 2012, 08:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greydragon

the last time i had Ottos i put 6 into the 20 gal tank and when i went to sell them i had 7

BallAquatics

Here's a quick update on my PetSmart Otocinclus.  They have been eating Repashy "Soilent Green" and fattened up very nicely.

Did a 50% water change with some fresh cool rain water during one of the recent storms and found 2 fry this morning.  I'm hoping to see more in the next few days.

Each spring for the past couple of years I've though about setting these guys up for some spawning and things finally came together.  Needless to say, the water is very soft with a low tds.  Temps are around 78F.  In addition to the Repashy, I have been rotating Anubias plants from other tanks for a bit of algae removal.  They have been sharing a tank with my breeding group of Danio roseus, but I removed the Danios a couple of weeks ago because I was afraid they would eat any Oto fry.

Dennis

Mugwump

Nice, dennis.....chow hounds too....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Well the little darlings finally moved to the end of the tank where I could get some photos.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Thanks Jon.  I love Otos and hope I can raise enough to have some in all my tanks.  It will also be interesting to see how tough tank raised Otos are in comparison to the store bought variety.

Dennis

Ron Sower

One of our long time GSAS members has opened a store a fer piece north of where I live.  I went up on his opening weekend to support him and was asking about Otos for my diatoms.  He said they were really good for that ailment. so I brought back 4 of them and they have really kept the tank nice. 

One thing he told me is that a lot of people lose them after the algae is gone, because they need a lot of the green and they starve for it.  He suggested HBH Algae Grazers which are wafers which list, in order, spirulina algae, dehydrated alfalfa meal, pea powder as the fist three ingredients, meaning the highest concentrations of course.  Other brands usually begin with fish meal.....etc. 

Right now I have a tank with Clown loaches and rainbows which is laden with green algae.  I'll be getting a bunch this weekend if I find a trusted source, and see what they can do with it.  Plenty of hiding places and plenty of algae.

I appreciate the informational post on the little guys, Jon. Thank you.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Those are great pictures Dennis.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

shatanka

Your "little darlings" are adorable! That is so cool they gave you 2 little ones! I hope you get lots more from them! Very neat!

b125killer

Scott

BallAquatics

I found new fry hatching out today!  This little guy was up in the corner on the silicon so the photo is not as clear as the others.  He must be from a new batch as he hasn't absorbed the yoke sac completely.

I'm starting to wonder how many there could be in the tangle of anubias and crypts???  Very exciting for me as I'm not know for spawning catfish.....

Dennis

BallAquatics

Got a chance to do a quick head-count today. Looks like the first spawn result was just 2 fry - they are around .5". I did however see 5 others that are around the .25" mark! Practice makes perfect... LOL   ;D

Dennis

Mugwump

Super, the parents must be getting the hang of it too......that helps..
Jon