• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 10:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

PVC to fill tanks

Started by JC, January 17, 2015, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 17, 2015, 05:43:33 PM
QuoteIt does Bill, look at the pump box pics above...

Well, good.
I have come across some of the pumps that don't have that info.
Its the sign of a more responsible manufacturer.

By the way I like the dropper holder.

I do too...mine has a strap....easy lift outs when needed..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've used an inline pump before and it was ridiculously loud so that's why I went with a submersible. Plus Ive been using a submersible for years and really like them for ease of use. I will glue my PVC since it's not toxic to fish, after I get whole system dry fitted together. I'm confident this pump will be more than ample for my application because I ony plan on using my 100 gal stock tank once per water change. And at my current rate of filling tanks I sit and wait an hour and a half while I go from tank to tank and fill up. If this pump fills them all in 30 minutes I'll be thrilled.

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on January 17, 2015, 05:56:53 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I've used an inline pump before and it was ridiculously loud so that's why I went with a submersible. Plus Ive been using a submersible for years and really like them for ease of use. I will glue my PVC since it's not toxic to fish, after I get whole system dry fitted together. I'm confident this pump will be more than ample for my application because I ony plan on using my 100 gal stock tank once per water change. And at my current rate of filling tanks I sit and wait an hour and a half while I go from tank to tank and fill up. If this pump fills them all in 30 minutes I'll be thrilled.

I think that's the important part too, Josh.....it'll be something that you are comfortable with...;-)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Yep!  I mean don't get me wrong I do like in line pumps but sometimes I do water changes early in the morning or late at night when my family is asleep and I'm worried it would be too noisy and wake them

LizStreithorst

You must have been using one of those Wayne type pumps.  I use silent in line pumps to drain and fill.  They're not cheap, but they last.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JC

Yes it was a Wayne pump Liz

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 17, 2015, 06:47:28 PM
You must have been using one of those Wayne type pumps.  I use silent in line pumps to drain and fill.  They're not cheap, but they last.

What brand pumps are you using Liz? I am probably going to get some new ones soon.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on January 17, 2015, 05:43:33 PM
By the way I like the dropper holder.

LOL  I liked that too. 

I would definitely glue the pipe.  It might stay together as long as there is no restriction, but once you close the valves, water pressure will blow those joints apart.

Dennis

BillT

Drainage pipe on the other hand can be "glued together with silicon.
It holds pretty well and is easy to take apart. I wouldn't expect it to take any pressure though.

JC

That "dropper holder" was there when I bought my house 6yrs ago. It's a screw driver holder but I repurposed it haha. I'm glad everyone likes it! It's pretty darn handy

JC

Well I got all my PVC glued last night. Really excited to try it out. Does anyone know how long I need to let it cure for before it's safe for fish?

BillT

I go by what the label on the glue says (usually for water for human consumption) and the smell.
You could also blow air through the pipes to drive of the fumes off faster and/or run water through the pipes but not to the fish.
Increasing the temperature (dare I say pipal warming) will also cause the solvent to evaporate faster. 
If you use charcoal in your filtration, the charcoal should remove at least some of the solvents.

Mugwump

I'll echo Bill's suggestion(s)....run air or water through the pvc....you could try a piece of air line from you pump.....
Jon

JC

Well today was my first test run with my new system and boy am I impressed!  I changed 50% in: 37, 75, 20, 20, 40B, 29, 29. I got siphoned all the poo drained them and had them filled in 35 minutes!!!  It used to take me 2-2 1/2 hours. I'm so pleased

Mugwump

Boomba!!!!..it's a hit !!!!!..... 8)
Jon