• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 05:12:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 238
Total: 238

PVC to fill tanks

Started by JC, January 17, 2015, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

This morning I started running PVC to my tanks around my room so I can fill multiple tanks at once. Not finished yet and will post progress pics as I go. One question I have is should I glue the PVC together with PVC glue or will that be bad because it could poison the water going into the tanks, just worried if I have the pump running and need to cut the water off at the ball valve for whatever reason the pressure will pop the PVC apart and I'll have a huge mess. Any comments, suggestions, and criticism is welcome

JC

JC

JC

JC

Here's the pump I'm going to be using

JC

Mugwump

I've would glue them....with an air system you can get away with out it...but water, why chance it??

nice pump, have you figured the flow when filling more than one tank at a time tho....???...looks like you'll have about a 10 ft head, that'll knock it down a bit too.....it should still work pretty well...

Somebody will chime in with they're using I'm sure......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I would use an in line pump rather than a submersible.   
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 17, 2015, 04:33:23 PM
I would use an in line pump rather than a submersible.

A good idea, Liz.....there's a bung on most tubs that a bulk head fitting could be used to run from....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I forgot to say that PVC cement isn't toxic to fish. 

An inline pump may be more expensive but they are last forever without maintence and pump out a ton of water compared to the reletive trickle  a 1/2 hp submersable.  55 GPM a joke compared to what a good in line pump will put out.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Quoteshould I glue the PVC together with PVC glue or will that be bad because it could poison the water going into the tanks

PVC glue can be harmful to fish if it has not yet dried up. PVC glue is PVC plastic dissolved in a bunch of nasty chemicals (don't use in un-ventilated areas if you can avoid it). Dried up glue is harmless and also considered food safe or it wouldn't be used for building codes.
The best documented harm to fish is effects on their kidneys (by Renata Reimschussel).

The facility I ran did a lot of testing of things like this by keeping developing zebrafish eggs in dishes, with and without the material being tested, for the first 5 days of their development. All the fish in a test were from the same individual breeding event. This equalized any genetic effects as well as the effects of any weird things that might happen to them due to the conditions in which they were being raised.  We used about 100 eggs for each condition (we could generate a lot of eggs). Interesting results would get repeated a few times.

Dried PVC glue (all the solvent gone) had no effect in this test.
-------------------------------------

There are other ways to join pipe, but they are more expensive and might have metal in contact with the water (good to avoid with fish) and may wear out.
-------------------------------------

Some people like un-submerged pumps better.

However, you might want to consider a submersible pump for the following reasons:
- requires less to install (fewer holes to make and holes to seal
- fewer possible places for leaks to develop (glue joints, bulkhead penetrations)
- pump removal and replacement is easy if you have the pump pumping out a pipe with a union is it can be detached and lifted out like a pump on a stick
- submerged pumps have good heat removal (harder to burn-out)
- heat from the pump is used to heat the water (could be a plus or minus depending on your local environmental conditions)

Bad Submerged Pump Things:
- electrical problems (avoid bad cords (use a GFI if possible))
- pump make leak water in and nasty chemicals out
- grounding problems, if you use meters in the system
- big pumps: more difficult to get out

BillT

Another thing about PVC fumes:

If you have the opportunity to plumb an air intake to your air pump if would be handy to to run an intake pipe out side. You could use valves to control inside outside or what ever. Then you could fill you fish room with fumes, and still aerate them with fresh air from outside.

I know a lab that had some epoxy work done in a fish room that used air from the room to aerate the fish. The chemical from the air was transferred to the fish water. The fish did not die, but they didn't breed from 6 months.

BillT

Rather than just the GPM, a better numerical comparison of pump strength is the head (back pressure) to flow rate chart that is supposed to be associated with each pump sold.

This compares the amount of flow at various heights above the pump (or water line being pumped out of).
Some pumps pump a lot at low pressure, but would not be able to pump up 6 feet.
Others could.
The chart (or graph) should show it.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 17, 2015, 05:38:33 PM
Rather than just the GPM, a better numerical comparison of pump strength is the head (back pressure) to flow rate chart that is supposed to be associated with each pump sold.

This compares the amount of flow at various heights above the pump (or water line being pumped out of).
Some pumps pump a lot at low pressure, but would not be able to pump up 6 feet.
Others could.
The chart (or graph) should show it.

It does Bill, look at the pump box pics above...
Jon

BillT

QuoteIt does Bill, look at the pump box pics above...

Well, good.
I have come across some of the pumps that don't have that info.
Its the sign of a more responsible manufacturer.

By the way I like the dropper holder.