• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 09:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

New Dantums

Started by PaulineMi, January 16, 2015, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on January 16, 2015, 11:33:28 PM
Nice angels Pauline, I like the way you photographed the package. It was like we all got to open it with you. ;D

+1  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Nice angels Pauline, I like the way you photographed the package. It was like we all got to open it with you. ;D

Thanks Scott.  The details pertaining to the box opening was done at the request of our Forum Meister, Jon.  ;D ;D ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 17, 2015, 08:23:18 AM

Thanks Scott.  The details pertaining to the box opening was done at the request of our Forum Meister, Jon.  ;D ;D ;D

;D....and thank you... ;D    the more methods you can see, the more you learn. I've received boxes from them before...but was curious how they handled the pretty cold weather......it seems what they do overnight wouldn't hold up for 2-3 day shipping tho......IMHO.....more heat packs, under the bags, as well as the two taped to the lid would be needed.....just my observation....anyone else comment??....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 17, 2015, 08:38:02 AM
....anyone else comment??....

I agree with you completely Jon.  Anyone should be able to pack an over-night box.  The trick is getting them there using affordable 2-3 day shipping.  I always like to see how other folks pack their boxes, but I think in the end, everyone develops their own style and what they are comfortable with.  I probably spent 6 or 8 years refining my boxes until I got them just where I wanted them.

Dennis

PaulineMi

The heat packs were covered with folded paper towels.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

JC

Do they also have non albino dantums?

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on January 17, 2015, 04:03:47 PM
Do they also have non albino dantums?

Yes, they do.....David, and Carol, have already crossed them out.....and still no 'mystery meat' identification as to what they are genetically......could be a lot of hoo bob over nothing special....who knows..??
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 17, 2015, 10:15:57 AM

I agree with you completely Jon.  Anyone should be able to pack an over-night box.  The trick is getting them there using affordable 2-3 day shipping.  I always like to see how other folks pack their boxes, but I think in the end, everyone develops their own style and what they are comfortable with.  I probably spent 6 or 8 years refining my boxes until I got them just where I wanted them.

Dennis

I asked because I want to ship fish the affordable way.  I needed to know the size of the box and how much air/packing was in the box.  My thinking is that a small styo like my little Hansie boxes that has room for 2 adult Anglefish in warm water and a single 72 hr heat pack will keep the fish warm for 3 days max.  Barb agrees but she's no expert when it comes to shiping.  I think that my Hansie box can do it, but I don't know for sure. and am afraid to experiment on an excellent pair.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 17, 2015, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on January 17, 2015, 10:15:57 AM

Dennis

I asked because I want to ship fish the affordable way.  I needed to know the size of the box and how much air/packing was in the box.  My thinking is that a small styo like my little Hansie boxes that has room for 2 adult Anglefish in warm water and a single 72 hr heat pack will keep the fish warm for 3 days max.  Barb agrees but she's no expert when it comes to shiping.  I think that my Hansie box can do it, but I don't know for sure. and am afraid to experiment on an excellent pair.

pack a box and put it outside for three days in a shady spot.....then check the temps....Hansie has some nice boxes, but I'm not sure they were intended for severe winter shipping....??
do a test....your temps are mild with cool evenings, you'll get an idea anyway.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

How obvious a test.  I didn't even think of it.  It sure 'nuf won't be this weekend.  It is warm and clear and glorious today and will stay that way for several days.  When it turns wickedly cold again I'll do the test.  Thanks, Mugs.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 17, 2015, 04:50:13 PM
How obvious a test.  I didn't even think of it.  It sure 'nuf won't be this weekend.  It is warm and clear and glorious today and will stay that way for several days.  When it turns wickedly cold again I'll do the test.  Thanks, Mugs.
Put it in the fridge or freezer...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

That's a great idea, Ron.  I'll put a Hasnie box in the fridge with one heat pack for three days.  Thank you, thank you, thank you :-*

JC

What is a hansie box??

Mugwump

Discus Hans has special boxes that he uses for shipping....Liz has gotten a few to use too..
Jon

BallAquatics

I think the best box I ever saw was one I got from a German freshwater shrimp breeder.  He sent me some Orange Eyed Blue Tiger shrimp that were in transit for 14 days counting the time they took to get through customs.  The shrimp arrived in excellent condition.

His box was a small medical supply insulated box.  It was similar to those boxes that Omaha Steaks uses to ship their beef in.  Very sturdy one-piece styro-foam with a tight fitting notched lid.  The styro fit snuggly inside a cardboard box for protection.  I kept the box for years but never had anything small enough to ship so it never got used.

Dennis