• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 03:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Baseball and fishing...

Started by Mugwump, January 15, 2015, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Ted wrote an awesome book on hitting:
The Science of Hitting.
Read it when I was young. Physics, hitting, and psychology.

BallAquatics

Remember when it seemed like everything Sears sold was endorsed by Ted Williams???  I've got an ancient 22 rifle from Sears that was a Ted Williams...

Dennis

PaulineMi

Here's a link to a short piece on the book Bill referenced....

http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-beautiful-infographics-of-ted-williamss-the-scienc-1511889371

Am watching Red Wings hockey while writing this.   ;)

Detroit won in OT   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

He's the last player to hit .400.....  .344 lifetime.....what a sweet swing...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I had a Ted Williams baseball glove from Sears that I got one year for Christmas. Our family was a true Sears shopping family.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

J C Higgins 12ga pump shotgun..Red Rider BB guns..American flyer wagons/sleds....Erector sets....Chemistry sets...Lincoln logs...Cowboy/Indian figures with a Calvary Ft....Army figures with little jeeps/tanks/artillery/etc... and, of course, lots of clothes...LOL
Jon

Ron Sower

Yep, but you left out Silvertone TV & radio, and very important...Craftsman tools! Dad swore by those! Guaranteed for life.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 16, 2015, 08:57:54 AM
Yep, but you left out Silvertone TV & radio, and very important...Craftsman tools! Dad swore by those! Guaranteed for life.

Naw...Craftsman tools are a given, and quite possibly the only thing that they're known for now days....??

There were also, Montgomery Wards and Spiegel catalogs,  J.C. Penney, FAO Schwartz.....
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 16, 2015, 09:20:24 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on January 16, 2015, 08:57:54 AM

Naw...Craftsman tools are a given, and quite possibly the only thing that they're known for now days....??

There were also, Montgomery Wards and Spiegel catalogs,  J.C. Penney, FAO Schwartz.....
Agreed!  :'(  It's a shame, though, that Sears lost it market.  But all things go through a rise and fall. Some even several cycles....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

My first real job while still in high school was in the candy department at Sears.  Remember when they had a soda fountain too? 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 16, 2015, 11:06:39 AM
My first real job while still in high school was in the candy department at Sears.  Remember when they had a soda fountain too?

Yep, our's out by 'Oak Brook Mall' still has the hot cashew vendor selling the fresh hot bags too.....

My Grandmother took us to Woolworth's  'five and dime'....we got cherry phosphates...MMmmm

Jon

PaulineMi

I used to dump raw cashews into the hot oil.  Of course I also got to eat the super fresh, piping hot cashews too. 

I also remember Woolworth's.  Dime stores with creaking wooden floors.....some even had upper and lower levels.

BallAquatics

Our Sears store was what they called a "farm store".  It was basically just the depot where you picked up your mail order stuff as they had very few items for retail sale.

Woolworth, Grants, and Kresge's were something else entirely.  My love of the aquatic hobby was born and nurtured in the pet departments at both Grants & Woolworth.  That was back before plastic bags so everything was placed into water-proof Chinese carry-out type boxes with handles.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 16, 2015, 01:11:54 PM
Our Sears store was what they called a "farm store".  It was basically just the depot where you picked up your mail order stuff as they had very few items for retail sale.

Woolworth, Grants, and Kresge's were something else entirely.  My love of the aquatic hobby was born and nurtured in the pet departments at both Grants & Woolworth.  That was back before plastic bags so everything was placed into water-proof Chinese carry-out type boxes with handles.

Dennis

I'd almost forgot about those things... ;D   I remember our Woolworths was the first area store to have something other than goldfish too, Sword/platy/mollie ??....those goldfish we could win at the carnivals... ;D

Jon