• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 330
Total: 330

Angelfish====>

Started by Mugwump, January 14, 2015, 07:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...am I the only one with spawns??.....what's everyone working on over the winter...??..any projects??

One of my PB marble pairs is trying to parent raise now....we'll see.. ;D  ??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

No spawns here.  I lowered the temps in an effort to curtail spawning until I move however I do have some dime sized marble/blue Kois that I am growing out. :o  They are out of that mystery pair I got from you Jon. ??? lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D The only reason I have these are that this pair are my best parent raisers and they managed to have their fry survive in spite of me. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

The discus are in constant spawn mode but I don't raise fry.  Friday however the new little juvie Dantums will arrive.  :)   That will be my winter project.  Will also be trying to figure out what needs to be done in the "wilds'" tank.  Things seem to be off just a tad with algae, fins and faded bars. Big water changes aren't fixing it. Not sure if it's due to bickering in there or if I should pull some old Mopani driftwood. My suspicion is that it's mainly the dominant pair in the tank. Rearranging everything usually settles things down....for awhile anyway.  ::)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 14, 2015, 07:38:38 AM
No spawns here.  I lowered the temps in an effort to curtail spawning until I move however I do have some dime sized marble/blue Kois that I am growing out. :o  They are out of that mystery pair I got from you Jon. ??? lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D The only reason I have these are that this pair are my best parent raisers. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Cross those 'het' pb Loi with a plat....you should get some nice plat marbles... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 14, 2015, 07:47:32 AM
The discus are in constant spawn mode but I don't raise fry.  Friday however the new little juvie Dantums will arrive.  :)   That will be my winter project.  Will also be trying to figure out what needs to be done in the "wilds'" tank.  Things seem to be off just a tad with algae, fins and faded bars. Big water changes aren't fixing it. Not sure if it's due to bickering in there or if I should pull some old Mopani driftwood. My suspicion is that it's mainly the dominant pair in the tank. Rearranging everything usually settles things down....for awhile anyway.  ::)

LOL..I rearrange the furniture too.... ;D..ever see a fish stub his toe..??.. ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 14, 2015, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on January 14, 2015, 07:38:38 AM
No spawns here.  I lowered the temps in an effort to curtail spawning until I move however I do have some dime sized marble/blue Kois that I am growing out. :o  They are out of that mystery pair I got from you Jon. ??? lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D The only reason I have these are that this pair are my best parent raisers. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Cross those 'het' pb Loi with a plat....you should get some nice plat marbles... ;D

That sounds like a good plan. ;D  I have a nice male plat that I can cross with that female. ;D Hell, I may try that before my move. On second thought I don't have the tank space to grow them out. ??? ::)
Willie

GeorgeG

I have one spawn of half blacks with the parents. The first spawn grew out nicely but never changed colors so I need to get rid of them to the pet store so I can get my 100 gallon tank back. The spawn of HB veils start to change over at a small size so I am keeping them since there is only a dozen or so. Working on pulling my Rams as I find the females and placing them in 10 gallon tanks. Looks like I might have 3-4 pairs of Electric Blues, 3 pair German Blues and I need to sit and watch the Golds and my wild ones.

Mugwump

I need to move my unturned HB's too.....and some others....I'm going to yank a Koi spawn, and possibly another PB marble spawn...??
Jon

JC

My halfblacks spawned a week ago. They had their first meal two days ago, not many because the male was eating the eggs so I pulled what was left

My rams spawned and are raising

My electric blue acaras spawned again, growing out 30 from their first batch a month or so ago

That's about it spawning. I am growing out a bunch for some projects to mess with: blushings that carry halfblack gene, black x mana babies, REALLY nice asst PB's to get a couple pairs, and red kachese tropheus

LizStreithorst

I have nothing at the moment but I was surprised last week by a pair of my PS Plats spawning.  I thought they were too young, but I was wrong.  Either they are small for their age or early bloomers. 

I moved them from the community tank to a breeding tank where they did the deed.  I was hugely impressed by the number of eggs!  The eggs turned white either because the male was too young to be fertile or the water was too hard.  The pair didn't eat the first egg as far as I could tell.  The eggs fell from the cone, dead white, and I vacuumed them up during WC.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next time.  It's been a week since last time.  I want them to do it again.  I liked the fact that these Plat PS's didn't eat their eggs

Got fry from a couple of parent raising HB's.  My keeper pair is on their second spawn.  Their first spawn was small but they turn soon and often.  I sent the best of their first batch to Robert Wright.  Most of what I sent him had already truned. 

I have a spawn from the pair that belongs to the Josh who is not our Josh.  I like his pair better than my keeper pair, but the proof of a HB pair is in the percentage of their fry that turn.  The almost peas from the pair that belongs to the Josh who is not our Josh are just peas.  Too young to tell. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 15, 2015, 02:27:24 PM
I have nothing at the moment but I was surprised last week by a pair of my PS Plats spawning.  I thought they were too young, but I was wrong.  Either they are small for their age or early bloomers. 

I moved them from the community tank to a breeding tank where they did the deed.  I was hugely impressed by the number of eggs!  The eggs turned white either because the male was too young to be fertile or the water was too hard.  The pair didn't eat the first egg as far as I could tell.  The eggs fell from the cone, dead white, and I vacuumed them up during WC.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next time.  It's been a week since last time.  I want them to do it again.  I liked the fact that these Plat PS's didn't eat their eggs

Got fry from a couple of parent raising HB's.  My keeper pair is on their second spawn.  Their first spawn was small but they turn soon and often.  I sent the best of their first batch to Robert Wright.  Most of what I sent him had already truned. 

I have a spawn from the pair that belongs to the Josh who is not our Josh.  I like his pair better than my keeper pair, but the proof of a HB pair is in the percentage of their fry that turn.  The almost peas from the pair that belongs to the Josh who is not our Josh are just peas.  Too young to tell.

I've had Plats spawn very young at maybe 7 months old. :o  I still have the female and she lays a huge amount of eggs when she spawns. She is also HET for PS an Albino. ??? ::) ;D ;D ;D
Willie

LizStreithorst

Are you breeding her now, Willie?  If so, what are you breeding her to?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 15, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
Are you breeding her now, Willie?  If so, what are you breeding her to?

Her original mate was a brother of hers.??? He passed away so now she has taken up with another one of her brothers :o in the community tank.

I have not been keeping her spawns because of my space issues but as soon as I move I will breed her again. I'd like to find an unrelated Plat. 

If not, I'll breed her to my PB Koi that I got from Jon. When bred to her late brother they produced Albinos and PS. Jon and Scott have offspring from that pairing.
Willie

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

That is a really great setup you have for them. Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie