• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,316
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Air pumps

Started by GraphicGr8s, January 03, 2015, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

So what do you guys recommend. Right now 10-12 tanks are running on 8 pumps and I am looking to expand my air resources to many of my tanks up to about 50 outlets.

Alita? Pondmaster? Other?

And as always cost is a consideration.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

I have a Pondmaster with a Jehmco 80 for backup......the Alita 80's are pretty nice too and a tad cheaper than Jehmco 80 at the moment....both are in the $200+ range.....haven't checked the Pondmaster pricing in a while tho....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Yeah not sure how I'd get another 2 bills past the wife though. She thinks I spend too much as it is. But I would venture it would be cheaper running that then the same amount of HOBs.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on January 03, 2015, 08:01:16 PM
Yeah not sure how I'd get another 2 bills past the wife though. She thinks I spend too much as it is. But I would venture it would be cheaper running that then the same amount of HOBs.

you bet it is cheaper.....most folks use PVC...I use 5/8" thick wall clear plastic tubing, with 12 valve gang logs.......I can add, or reconfigure, whenever the need in minutes....I have about 7 logs now, plus runner valves off of single air lines.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Ken's has about the best prices on Danner/ Supreme/ Pond Master pumps and carries all the rebuild kits too.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/supreme-high-volume-air-pumps.html

I'm currently running 100+ drops off of a single AP-100 pump.  The AP-60 would probably do 50 drops with no sweat.... $139.95 shipped.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 03, 2015, 08:23:02 PM
Ken's has about the best prices on Danner/ Supreme/ Pond Master pumps and carries all the rebuild kits too.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/supreme-high-volume-air-pumps.html

I'm currently running 100+ drops off of a single AP-100 pump.  The AP-60 would probably do 50 drops with no sweat.... $139.95 shipped.

Dennis

I like my Pondmaster too..........heck, got it used, with a spare rebuild kit for $50... ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Pretty much confirms my research too. Now to get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LizStreithorst

I have a used Medo linear pump that will handle 20 outlets I can sell you for $50.  It's the same brand pump that Jhemco uses but since it's not in the insulated box there is a hum to it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Thanks for the offer Liz but this is one area I prefer to buy a new one. So long as I don't add any more box filters for a while I good. Tax time is a comin. And I've got a 5 year old deduction. ;)

EdKaz

Check out.........

http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-Commercial-Air-Single-Outlet/dp/B002JLCDHQ

Cheap, reliable, and PLENTY of air for 10-12 tanks......or 25 plus even. I had several running 40 plus outlets.

Pretty close noise wise compared to the AP100 I have running now.

GraphicGr8s

Not sure if I ever said but I did get the Pondmaster AP100.

That thing is built tough.
I have it below my highest tanks. Yes I know don't say it.

Back in July the power went out for 3-4 hours. Didn't even think about my precarious arrangement. So the pump was waterlogged. Took it apart and dried it out. When power came back it started right up no trouble.

Fast forward to last night. I go out about 10 pm to feed the fish. Feed the big tanks and start the breeder tanks. Notice it's awful quite. None of the box filters are running. I look over at the clear tubing and it's full of water. So is the pump. I've got it on a GFCI that also protects an outside outlet. And it's been extremely wet here. Damn thing tripped.

This time I ripped the pump all the way down just because. Got it all back together and it fires right up. I love this pump.

Next step is check valves for the higher tanks. Not too bad it's only 4 drops.
Oh yeah. It's plugged into a different circuit. Still GFCI but no exterior outlets.

BillT

Alternatively, you could loop your line up above the highest tanks before it goes down to the airpump.
If the tube is large enough, capillary action will not be able to draw the water up to the top of the loop and then down to the pump.

GraphicGr8s

While that would protect the pump I still need the check valves on the higher tanks. My airline pvc is below the top row of tanks so I can adjust the valves without needing a ladder. Not the best circumstances but I'll get it safer.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 21, 2015, 10:41:19 PM
Not sure if I ever said but I did get the Pondmaster AP100.

I love this pump.

If you haven't already, order a rebuild kit.  It's only a matter of time before a diaphragm will wear out.  At $10 I like to keep a couple on hand.

http://www.123ponds.com/14565.html

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Good advice Dennis. Right now it's still new but I'll get them in a couple of months. Right now with the school year starting money is a bit tight right now.