• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 12:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 150
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

Gas prices.....zounds!!!!

Started by Mugwump, January 02, 2015, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sschind

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 05, 2015, 01:55:10 PM
I heard on NPR this morning that some dairy farmers are moving all their manure to a pit where it decays anerobiclly and makes methane that they make electricity from and sell to the power company.  I suppose that's better than nothing.

The way they raise dairy cows these days is a disgrace.  Time was a man could make a good living and send his kid to college milking 40 cows.  His cows grazed the land and put their manure there.  The manure was a benfit not a problem.  Cows had names.  It's not like that now and we, the animals, and the environment are the worse for it.

(Dang, I went on a rant!)

Cows still have names.  Names like Porterhouse, T-Bone, Ribeye, and my personal favorite Ground Chuck.  Just don't bother to call him he doesn't have any legs so he won't come to you anyway.

Reminds me of another joke my nephew just told me. 

Where can you find a dog with no legs?

Right where you left him.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

sschind

Quote from: Mugwump on January 06, 2015, 06:08:13 AM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on January 05, 2015, 09:24:38 PM
http://www.globalresearch.ca/guess-what-happened-the-last-time-the-price-of-oil-crashed-like-this/5417215

That appears to be one of those 'sky is falling' sites......almost everything on it is alarmist check out counter material.....

another thing they don't tell you is that for the 6 or 7 months before the big drop oil prices hit record highs prompting record high prices for gasoline and diesel fuel.  Was it the low oil prices from  later in 2008 or the higher gas prices from earlier that had a bigger impact? 

I'm not up economics so I can't argue very well like some of you can.  All I know is that when I moved my store in the summer of 2007 after I reopened I saw a steady monthly increase in sales from about august 2007 until about may 2008.  That's about the time gas hit $4.00 a gallon around here and everything slowed down.  Pet stores usually experience a summer slowdown but what happened in 2008 was that it never picked back up in the fall.  After a summer of record high gas prices and the housing market collapse and all that other crap the economy had tanked and it was very slow to recover.  Perhaps it was the low oil prices that had more of an impact than the high gas prices I don't know.  I hear people saying the economy has recovered but I don't see it.  It is better than it was 5 years ago for sure but but it sure doesn't seem like people are spending like they were prior to that.  Maybe that's a good thing though.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

sschind

Thanks for providing the cattleman article Ed.  I've just recently begun hearing adds on the radio saying the same thing.  I know I for one was taken in by the cries of potential food shortages due to so much corn being used for ethanol.

I would like to see more recent statistics and I'd also like to see the effects on the production of food stuffs for human consumption (I know the article mentioned the byproduct being used for corn syrup but that may be a bad thing if its all the high fructose kind.  Isn't that what is really screwing up the world...high fructose corn syrup... oh and gluten, don't forget the gluten)

I say I'd like to see them but I'm too lazy to actually look for them myself.  Hey, back off, admitting you have a problem is the first step in fixing it right?  Of course the second step is actually taking steps to fix it and I'm not up to that point yet but at least I have a start.  Anyway, as I was saying I would like to see this other information so if anyone has it at their fingertips, or is perhaps not as lazy as me and would care to look it up and post a link it would be greatly appreciated.  I do have my faults I admit but a failure to be properly appreciative is certainly not one of them.  I can assure you as long as that proper appreciation does not cost me anything and can be expressed from in front of my computer I can be as appreciative as all get out. 
Steve Schindler

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on January 07, 2015, 03:27:40 PM
http://www.globalresearch.ca/guess-what-happened-the-last-time-the-price-of-oil-crashed-like-this/5417215

That appears to be one of those 'sky is falling' sites......almost everything on it is alarmist check out counter material.....

another thing they don't tell you is that for the 6 or 7 months before the big drop oil prices hit record highs prompting record high prices for gasoline and diesel fuel.  Was it the low oil prices from  later in 2008 or the higher gas prices from earlier that had a bigger impact? 

I'm not up economics so I can't argue very well like some of you can.  All I know is that when I moved my store in the summer of 2007 after I reopened I saw a steady monthly increase in sales from about august 2007 until about may 2008.  That's about the time gas hit $4.00 a gallon around here and everything slowed down.  Pet stores usually experience a summer slowdown but what happened in 2008 was that it never picked back up in the fall.  After a summer of record high gas prices and the housing market collapse and all that other crap the economy had tanked and it was very slow to recover.  Perhaps it was the low oil prices that had more of an impact than the high gas prices I don't know.  I hear people saying the economy has recovered but I don't see it.  It is better than it was 5 years ago for sure but but it sure doesn't seem like people are spending like they were prior to that.  Maybe that's a good thing though.

I agree Steve. Most of those that got burned during the crash, and ensuing economic melt down, became overly cautious with any spending during the recovery period. Even now, as it has recovered, it doesn't seem to have recovered enough. is any, in the prime employment areas. The growth is very weak from the manufacturing, travel, service, retailer, construction, and other industries which are consumer spending main stays. These types of jobs, with static wages, can't keep abreast of the rising costs. Home values have declined, loan stipulations are off the wall, banks pay hardly any interest, and the stock market while flying high...is still viewed as risky by the general population.
Alas, those with funds are making money, those with none to spare are staying barely afloat at best.

Articles...

Consumer spending Survey
http://www.bls.gov/cex/

Consumer spending trends
http://www.inc.com/vince-passione/these-4-consumer-spending-trends-are-driving-your-market.html

and for grins....Gallup consumer spending weekly
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127544/consumer-spending-weekly.aspx

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on January 07, 2015, 04:00:50 PM

I agree Steve. Most of those that got burned during the crash, and ensuing economic melt down, became overly cautious with any spending during the recovery period. Even now, as it has recovered, it doesn't seem to have recovered enough. is any, in the prime employment areas. The growth is very weak from the manufacturing, travel, service, retailer, construction, and other industries which are consumer spending main stays. These types of jobs, with static wages, can't keep abreast of the rising costs. Home values have declined, loan stipulations are off the wall, banks pay hardly any interest, and the stock market while flying high...is still viewed as risky by the general population.
Alas, those with funds are making money, those with none to spare are staying barely afloat at best.

Articles...

Consumer spending Survey

Consumer spending trends
http://www.inc.com/vince-passione/these-4-consumer-spending-trends-are-driving-your-market.html

If this is a recovery it's the slowest I've ever seen.

Those with money are pretty much making it in the market. The question remains though what happens when the Fed stops pouring billions per month into it?

Sad thing is we never seem to learn from history. All this has happened before. Any one remember the S&L debacle? They poured money into the economy during the depression also. Many smart economists think it delayed a recovery by 7 years. Japan poured money into their economy too. They call it the lost decade.

One thing I am 100% absolutely sure of is you can't believe any of the numbers coming out or that have come out in the last 5 years.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on January 07, 2015, 07:43:00 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 07, 2015, 04:00:50 PM

Articles...

Consumer spending Survey

Consumer spending trends

If this is a recovery it's the slowest I've ever seen.

Those with money are pretty much making it in the market. The question remains though what happens when the Fed stops pouring billions per month into it?

Sad thing is we never seem to learn from history. All this has happened before. Any one remember the S&L debacle? They poured money into the economy during the depression also. Many smart economists think it delayed a recovery by 7 years. Japan poured money into their economy too. They call it the lost decade.

One thing I am 100% absolutely sure of is you can't believe any of the numbers coming out or that have come out in the last 5 years.

I'd rather remain optimistic, myself.......your skepticism is shared by many, as I stated above....when the economy tanked it created a aura of caution by many....this alone has slowed spending and recovery...until there is a time coming when all is running well....it'll likely remain an issue...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Either way you're covered.

Most of the problem is business owners don't really know what will fall next. And so many policies just aren't conducive to expanding a business in the US.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were