• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

Chicken Lombardy

Started by Mugwump, December 27, 2014, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Ingredients:
8 oz package(s) sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoon(s) butter melted
6 skinned and boned chicken breasts
1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup(s) butter
3/4 cup(s) marsala
1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/8 teaspoon(s) pepper
1/2 cup(s) shredded mozarella cheese
1/2 cup(s) parmesan cheese
2 green onions chopped

Preparation:
Cook mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender. Remove from heat; set aside.

Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/8 inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.

Dredge chicken pieces in flour. Cook chicken in batches, in 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Place chicken in a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish, overlapping edges. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and butter. Reserving pan drippings in skillet. Sprinkle mushrooms evenly over chicken.

Add wine and broth to skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken. Combine cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over chicken.

Bake uncovered, at 450 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes until cheese melts.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That sounds superbe.  I'll do it next weekend. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2014, 07:35:11 PM
That sounds superbe.  I'll do it next weekend.

Marsala sauce...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marsala-sauce-recipe.html

Total Time:
25 min
Prep:
10 min
Cook:
15 min

Yield:
4 servings

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Add olive oil to heavy hot saucepan. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, saute until mushrooms are tender. Add flour and cook about 1 minute then deglaze pan with Marsala wine. Add beef stock and cook until thick and flavors are blended.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I didn't know what it was but figured I could look it up.  OMG this is going to be so very good.  So many mushrooms!!!!!!  Have you guys made it yet?

Mugwump

not yet....Jan's not big on mushrooms...so I'd make a half/half....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I adore the lovely little fungi. I wish I could find wild, but the ones at the grocery are good enough.  They give a deep earthy flavor to a dish.

PaulineMi

That looks scrumptious!!!!!!
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

I bought the ingredients for this today.  I had everything but the wine and chicken breasts.  I bought a meat mallet to flaten the breasts with.  I usually do it by pounding them with the side of my butcher knife ::)

I will either make it tomorrow or Monday.  I'll let ya'll know if it's as good as it sounds and looks.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
I bought the ingredients for this today.  I had everything but the wine and chicken breasts.  I bought a meat mallet to flaten the breasts with.  I usually do it by pounding them with the side of my butcher knife ::)

I will either make it tomorrow or Monday.  I'll let ya'll know if it's as good as it sounds and looks.

take two bites for me and go....MMMMmmmmmm......please?
Jon

LizStreithorst

I made a Coq Au Vin for my first inlaws when I was in my 20's.  It was kind of their invitation to our house for a nice meal before we were married ::)  I didn't know that the father didn't like mushrooms or I'd have made something else.  I found out after the fact.  The flavor of the mushrooms was all in the sauce.  All that was left of the muchrooms themselves was devoid of flavor.  My FIL to be raved about the flavor of the sauce but picked out every mushroom he found.  Since then I've wondered if people who don't like mushrooms really don't like their flavor.  I love them.  They are very earthy.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2015, 07:38:01 PM
I made a Coq Au Vin for my first inlaws when I was in my 20's.  It was kind of their invitation to our house for a nice meal before we were married ::)  I didn't know that the father didn't like mushrooms or I'd have made something else.  I found out after the fact.  The flavor of the mushrooms was all in the sauce.  All that was left of the muchrooms themselves was devoid of flavor.  My FIL to be raved about the flavor of the sauce but picked out every mushroom he found.  Since then I've wondered if people who don't like mushrooms really don't like their flavor.  I love them.  They are very earthy.

..with scrambled eggs too.... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

.....Since then I've wondered if people who don't like mushrooms really don't like their flavor.

That's a really good point Liz.  I think it has more to do with their texture.  I've watched the grand kids struggle with mushrooms on pizza, but gobble them up when minced in beef stew.

Dennis

Mugwump

deep fried mushrooms are awesome too.....texture??...what texture?.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 10, 2015, 07:50:31 PM
.....Since then I've wondered if people who don't like mushrooms really don't like their flavor.

That's a really good point Liz.  I think it has more to do with their texture.  I've watched the grand kids struggle with mushrooms on pizza, but gobble them up when minced in beef stew.

Dennis

I don't think it's the texture.  Could it be the shape and the color and the fact that they are a fungus?  Surely not. 

Muggers, have you ever tried serving Jan a mushroomy dish with the shrooms taken out?  It would be a fun experiment :P

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2015, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on January 10, 2015, 07:50:31 PM

Dennis

I don't think it's the texture.  Could it be the shape and the color and the fact that they are a fungus?  Surely not. 

Muggers, have you ever tried serving Jan a mushroomy dish with the shrooms taken out?  It would be a fun experiment :P

We cook with mushroom soup all the time....with Jan, I think it's the texture mostly..
Jon