• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 369
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

In like carbon filter

Started by LizStreithorst, March 03, 2014, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have a working RO now, and my water is dirt cheap but I used rain water in a pinch and liked doing it.  I need to start filtering it through carbon if I keep using rain water.  I know nothing.  I did a quick look around came across this.  http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Culligan-RVF-10-RV-Filter-System.asp?gclid=CNikw8zD97wCFbFFMgod62sAzA  It looked just right until I saw the flow rate was 1 to 3 gallons per minute.  There has to be something better.  I'll be pumping water from outside to the storage containers in side with a half HP sump pump.  PSI on the output from the half inch hose is 62 psi (I have a meter for that :) ).  What filter do I need to buy?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 03, 2014, 05:51:21 PM
I have a working RO now, and my water is dirt cheap but I used rain water in a pinch and liked doing it.  I need to start filtering it through carbon if I keep using rain water.  I know nothing.  I did a quick look around came across this.  http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Culligan-RVF-10-RV-Filter-System.asp?gclid=CNikw8zD97wCFbFFMgod62sAzA  It looked just right until I saw the flow rate was 1 to 3 gallons per minute.  There has to be something better.  I'll be pumping water from outside to the storage containers in side with a half HP sump pump.  PSI on the output from the half inch hose is 62 psi (I have a meter for that :) ).  What filter do I need to buy?

Dennis should pop in....he uses rain water and pumps/filters it...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

When I plumbed mine up, I just used a generic whole house filter housing. 

It has standard 3/4" inlet / outlet and takes any standard sized filters, (string, carbon, etc.).  My rain water pump is rated at 2100 gph and I put a piece of 1/2 tubing on the discharge side of my filter so it doesn't blow water all over the room.... it moves a lot of water. You can get one of the filter housing at TSC, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. for less than $20.00 

I used to use carbon filter, but here of late I've been using 5 micron whole house string wound filters.  They are good for about 15000 gallons of water before needing replaced.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

i use the carbon and the same system he uses, i have to use the carbon because of the joys of being in a city.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

P4Angels

Lori and I used a similar system.   I ran three of the house hold filter.  like Dennis we had 2 of the 5 micro string filters and a carbon in the last chamber.  We ran that into the holding tank and let it sit for another 24 hours... Worked great for us.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...