• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 287
Total: 288

Well well,lookee here Liz (and the rest of you too of course)

Started by Barb, December 02, 2014, 01:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

They started cleaning the anubias leaf this morning, didn't even know they liked each other, then they spawned in half an hour, all these eggs, guarding and fanning and keeping all the other 5 fish down at the other end of the tank.  Spawning is not encouraged here, so what will be will be.  Will let you all know how it turns out.
Barb

Mugwump

It's time for you to get a batch of fry to oogle over.... ;D...I'm root'n them on... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

They might do better than you think.  I've got a pair of Honduran Red Points with fry in a 75 with about a dozen other Red Points.....  they are down to about a dozen fry, but they are doing very well with this small group.

I'm with Jon, good luck to the happy couple.  That's one of the best things about cichlids..... watching them care for their young.

Congratulations on the spawn!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Tee hee hee hee...Put that nice male with one of the females hiding behind the wood it to a 20 or 20 ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Thanks Jon,Dennis and Liz.  I will leave a small light over the tank tonight and see if they guard overnight.  As long as they don't harm the other scared 5 fish, they can do as they please with their spawn.  Maybe the male (I think it is male) that you sent Liz, will choose one of the beauties hiding amongst the wood and plants.  He has several gorgeous gals to choose from, or have all of them, like Jon suggested.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on December 02, 2014, 05:58:56 PM
Thanks Jon,Dennis and Liz.  I will leave a small light over the tank tonight and see if they guard overnight.  As long as they don't harm the other scared 5 fish, they can do as they please with their spawn.  Maybe the male (I think it is male) that you sent Liz, will choose one of the beauties hiding amongst the wood and plants.  He has several gorgeous gals to choose from, or have all of them, like Jon suggested.
Barb

More slates !!! let's set that bad boy up right....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That's a very nice tank too, Barb.  What are the ones on the drift wood and how did you get them to stick to it?  What's growing in the planter?

Barb

Anubias tied on with heavy black thread, super glue next time.  Plants in dishes are ???  I forgot, but will look them up and let you know.  They are offspring from plants I got about 30 years ago, honest.

LizStreithorst

I wish I could do plants.  They're something I'm not good at.  It would be nice to have a centerpiece planted 100 gallon in the fish room.

PaulineMi

Congratulations Barb.  They sure covered that leaf.  Your photo and tank are very nice.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 02, 2014, 06:26:40 PM
I wish I could do plants.  They're something I'm not good at.  It would be nice to have a centerpiece planted 100 gallon in the fish room.

One of Barb' large planters...
Capt'n Bob's substrate, with a light gravel covering..
A nice big anubias from Mark Hoffman...
a decent tank lamp....as anubias just need medium light......
plop in tank and forget it.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 02, 2014, 06:44:28 PM
I'll take it under consideration :)

cool.....on second thought, Mark's 'large' anubias are huge....LOL.....ask for a medium maybe???
Jon

PaulineMi

I once heard anubias described as a plant you could grow in a garage.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 02, 2014, 07:25:54 PM
I once heard anubias described as a plant you could grow in a garage.

Garage?...that's a push....but it has nice broad thick leaves that angels love to spawn on....a real healthy anubias does require a smidgen more care ...... ;D
Jon