• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 326
Total: 326

OCA...anyone go?

Started by Mugwump, November 24, 2014, 05:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I thought that Dennis said he was attending but really don't know....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I went up on Saturday mainly to meet up with Stephan and some other friends that were going to be there.  Got to see Wendy & Stephan's new baby girl, Ayla.  Stephan told her I was her Uncle Dennis - that was worth the trip all by it's self.

As for the event, I wasn't impressed at all.  They had the swap in this tiny room and it was so packed you couldn't even get around to the tables.  The vendors were put into the same room with the show fish.  When the judging was set to start, this guy comes in and starts screaming at people right in the middle of making purchases to get the hell out because the judging is starting.  I've never seen anything like it, it was simply horrible, both for the vendors and those hobbyists trying to make purchases.

Maybe if you were there for the whole thing it was better.  I doubt that I'll go back.....

Dennis

Mugwump

All it takes is a couple jerks to ruin a good event. Usually a club officer really full of his self importance will do it.  Sad, about every club/business/society, etc has a few.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Too many vendors and show fish in too small a space.  They should have had a separate space for the vendors and buyers where they could conduct business.  At NADA they have always been able to get away with one large room, but NADA takes place over 3 days.  Everyone knows that for a few hours the room will be closed for judging so it's no big deal.

This year one vendor made a stink about closing for a bit so the committee left it open.  Nobody much went in though, because there was a big sign saying "Judging in Progress".  Those vendors were rude  to the other vendors, too!  Barb had all her stuff set up and she was there first, and tables weren't assigned, but they had a tizzy fit because they wanted her spot right next to the door.  Barb didn't care where she was set up so she moved >:(  She ended up next to "The Wet Spot".  Nice folks at the Wet Spot.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 24, 2014, 11:55:34 AM
She ended up next to "The Wet Spot".  Nice folks at the Wet Spot.

No doubt about that.  Steve Lundblad & Marcie Rivera also run 'The Cichlid Exchange' in addition to 'The Wet Spot'.  Great folks with great fish, they know how to import, re-acclimate, and then sell-on their fish.

Far too many importers just move junk fish into the market.  Speaking of which, a new face to the import business is a well know figure in the hobby, (not to mention any names).  A couple of friends ordered fish from him with terrible results.  Sick emaciated fish.  I was surprised he would have sold such fish as he obviously knew their condition when he bagged them.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I hope that low life made it right with your friends and I dearly hope your friends had the new fish in QT.  People that sell fish that they know aren't right are the scum of the earth, but they continue to thrive.  There mantra must be, "A sucker is born every day".  I hope their dishonest dealings come back to them and take a huge bite out of their ass.

I've trusted twice and made huge disease causing mistakes.  Both times it was with scum bag Discus people. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Rjb3

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 24, 2014, 11:22:49 AM
I went up on Saturday mainly to meet up with Stephan and some other friends that were going to be there.  Got to see Wendy & Stephan's new baby girl, Ayla.  Stephan told her I was her Uncle Dennis - that was worth the trip all by it's self.

As for the event, I wasn't impressed at all.  They had the swap in this tiny room and it was so packed you couldn't even get around to the tables.  The vendors were put into the same room with the show fish.  When the judging was set to start, this guy comes in and starts screaming at people right in the middle of making purchases to get the hell out because the judging is starting.  I've never seen anything like it, it was simply horrible, both for the vendors and those hobbyists trying to make purchases.

Maybe if you were there for the whole thing it was better.  I doubt that I'll go back.....

I was a vendor in 2009 for my first and last OCA. When the guy came by screaming to get out he had a beer in his hand. I still can't believe it.