• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 258
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 319
Total: 319

Planting potted plants in sand

Started by LizStreithorst, November 22, 2014, 05:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I brought home about 8 large babies from my huge mama Amazon Sword at the shop.  I planted a couple gravel in Barb's planters.  I thought that they'd be save hiding place for the Snots as I move them, too soon from their safe haven.

Then I remembered that the last time I did that, Big Snots got in the gravel and spread it all over the tank bottom where I would vaccum it up and it and clogged up my pump.  Can I plant these in sand?  Grains of sand will go right through my pump without hurting anything.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2014, 05:19:22 PM
I brought home about 8 large babies from my huge mama Amazon Sword at the shop.  I planted a couple gravel in Barb's planters.  I thought that they'd be save hiding place for the Snots as I move them, too soon from their safe haven.

Then I remembered that the last time I did that, Big Snots got in the gravel and spread it all over the tank bottom where I would vaccum it up and it and clogged up my pump.  Can I plant these in sand?  Grains of sand will go right through my pump without hurting anything.

The gravel you can visually avoid, but sand not so easily....I would think the sand might grind you pump impellers??....we use Capt'n Bob's substrate in planters, then a later of gravel that can be pushed into it abit, just to hold the substrate in place....while gravel may block your pump, sand is finer and has an easier time getting into places in your pump to grind.... another option is round colored glass stones..??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I use Captain Bob's substrate, too. LOL

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on November 22, 2014, 05:41:37 PM
I use Captain Bob's substrate, too. LOL

LOL...I sure hope so, it comes most highly recommended.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I see your point, Mug.  There is this water mill looking thing that protects my impeller from large stuff but that would let small hard sharp stuff pass through that would damage my impeller.  I'll get with My Captain about his substrate and then do the gravel and the flat glass marbles.  It sounds like a good solution.
Always move forward. Never look back.