• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:51:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 258
Total: 258

a different kind of LED tank light

Started by BillT, December 14, 2012, 10:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

A friend of mine has a fish store in Springfield, Oregon (the home of the Simpsons) and uses some of these lights:

This is a view from the side looking back and up at the front for the tank. This is a Marineland hidden LED system. It clips on to the inside front edge of the plastic rim. It has a very dense linear array of LEDs. Each LED is only separated by a small amount of space.

The LED's are in a clear tube submerged in the water at the front edge of the tank.
Thus reduces the amount of light that would be reflected at the surface of the water.
Arron (the shop owner) has several of these on tanks. They work well, but need to be cleaned of algae periodically and several have had to be returned because water leaked into them.

Mugwump

We saw those at the ACA show in July. They are pretty efficient, but need some tweeking yet to make them fool proof. They're not cheap either, but I don't remember the cost.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I think I saw a price of about $80 in the store.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 15, 2012, 11:52:04 AM
I think I saw a price of about $80 in the store.

I think that's the smaller ones....???...At the show they had several very large tanks with muliple lights..one mounted front and one in the rear.....adjustable too....cool....

I just looked and the smaller 17" go even less than that...wow...but they are single strip and not many bulbs....I'll keep looking for the bigger rigs...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson