• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 05:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 315
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 335
Total: 335

You guys saved my fish.....Thanks!!!

Started by Ron Sower, November 13, 2014, 09:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I was just getting up into Seattle early Tuesday evening for our club's annual plant and fish auction, when I got a call from Miss Lucy (AKA: my wife, Linda). She had called to inform me that the power was out from the tremendous windstorm we were having and not expected to be back on until Wednesdy evening (yesterday). The first thing she asked after that was, "What can I do for the fish?"
Damn!....is she a good wife or what?

I told her to drape a couple blankets over the tanks and I would take care of the rest when I got home late. Which she did.

As I was driving home I began thinking about what to do. This is how you guys had a hand in saving my fish....I remembered some of the recent posts on here about you guys shipping fish with the warmers in the box.  I had some handwarmers in the closet, so I lifted the blankets and quilts and taped them to the glass around the perimeter of the tanks and dropped the blankets back in place.

When I started the water was 73 and the next morning it was 70. Not bad at all.  As the day went on it went to 69. House temp was in the 50's all day.

Power back on at 6:30pm.....!!!! All fish were okay. Even the Betta albimarginata I acquired from a fellow member when we met up at the auction.  They're just a little washed out.

Thanks, you guys for that thread on shipping. It even works for us non-shippers!  :D :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm so happy for you.  My greatest fear is the power going out.  One day I'll get my generator fixed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Whew, power outs can be a nightmare, It's good to hear that all went well......I use the 10 hr hand warmers. Mine are marked that they heat to 156 deg's peak. I can use them to heat coolers of fish that we take to swaps, etc....just one, taped under the lid, keeps the chill off a huge cooler.... ;D
Now you've found another use.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Mine were the 10/156 as well.  Did you know that after opening and they still are heating that you can place them in a ziplcok bag, squeeze out all the air and they cool and begin reheating when you take them out? Tried it this morning and it works. Don't know how long you can keep them. I may just test these for the next few days and find out.

I don't know the chemistry, but I'd wager that the lack of O2 stops the reaction.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

This is good info Ron.  Good to hear that your fish made it and your wife helped save them.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)