• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

100 gallon tank?

Started by Jo, December 13, 2012, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

Hey everyone
I found this tank on craigslist http://nashville.craigslist.org/pet/3402574879.html

The man says it is an old tank and very heavy thick glass. It does not have a center brace.
Is this a tank I should pass on? Or does anyone have advice on how to make it work?
Thanks
Jo
Jo

BillT

Nice looking tank Mir.
You could always silicon a cross brace onto it if you are concerned about that.
However, with thick glass it may not need a cross brace.

LizStreithorst

It doesn't look like a brace was removed so I imagine it was made that way and will work.  I'd still resilicone it, and if the stand it's on is the one it comes with add some 2X4 bracing inside the ones that are there now.  That's a lot of weight to be held up by screws alone.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I'd offer $100.  I never go over $1 per gallon on used tanks.  That stand in the picture is made from about $10 worth of 2x4 lumber.  It does look like it would be a super planted tank though... it's long and low.  Would be nice to know the dimensions.

Dennis

Jo

Quote from: BillT on December 13, 2012, 01:20:23 PM
Nice looking tank Mir.
You could always silicon a cross brace onto it if you are concerned about that.
However, with thick glass it may not need a cross brace.

Thanks Bill I have my hubby thinking on a brace solution.
Jo

Jo

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 13, 2012, 02:02:03 PM
It doesn't look like a brace was removed so I imagine it was made that way and will work.  I'd still resilicone it, and if the stand it's on is the one it comes with add some 2X4 bracing inside the ones that are there now.  That's a lot of weight to be held up by screws alone.

Thank you Liz. Not sure if I've said before but I have hubby build most of my stands so that will be redone for sure. The guy says the tank came that way as far as without middle brace. That is a good idea it probably needs resiliconed if it is old.
Jo

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 13, 2012, 02:26:32 PM
I'd offer $100.  I never go over $1 per gallon on used tanks.  That stand in the picture is made from about $10 worth of 2x4 lumber.  It does look like it would be a super planted tank though... it's long and low.  Would be nice to know the dimensions.

Dennis

Wow Dennis that is exactly what I was thinking of offering him! LOL Also think it wwould be awesome planted. ;D He said he would get the dimensions on it for me. I talked to him this morning. I know for sure 6 foot. I am so excited! I hope it is still there Saturday he is close to Nashville where I went to swap meet. So I can't even think about going until then.
Jo

Mugwump

I think you'll find it's a 110 gal...I have an older thick glass tank and trust me..it's heavy....mine has an added center brace...for lids and lights....it's a beast and will last forever....
roughly 72" X 24" X 14".....width and height are 'give or take'...LOL..it works out to be a little less than 110 gal's....find a place for it and never plan on moving it.... :o
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 13, 2012, 05:00:18 PM
I think you'll find it's a 110 gal...I have an older thick glass tank and trust me..it's heavy....mine has an added center brace...for lids and lights....it's a beast and will last forever....
roughly 72" X 24" X 14".....width and height are 'give or take'...LOL..it works out to be a little less than 110 gal's....find a place for it and never plan on moving it.... :o

What I would give for a tank of those dimensions.  Long wide and low.  Perfect for Discus growouts.  I'm big on a large surface area in growout tanks.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jo

Too cool! so will you share how you added center brace?
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on December 13, 2012, 06:01:28 PM

Too cool! so will you share how you added center brace?

measure the width and get a piece of 1/4" glass cut about 4" wide....center it and caulk it in...
it's just for the glass lids and lights....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

Nice looking tank Mir.
I believe 'tis Jo who made this post! hehehe :D

Jo: I think it's very cool! You should totally get it! Like they said, you can always add on if you're worried... :)
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jo on December 13, 2012, 03:16:43 PM
Wow Dennis that is exactly what I was thinking.....

What can I say, great minds think alike!   ;)

Dennis

Jo

Quote from: Mir on December 13, 2012, 07:58:16 PM
Nice looking tank Mir.
I believe 'tis Jo who made this post! hehehe :D

Jo: I think it's very cool! You should totally get it! Like they said, you can always add on if you're worried... :)

I want it so bad but it may not be there Saturday! My hubby is also freaking at the dimensions of the tank.The fact that it is so heavy and how much room it will take up in living room, and he will have to build the stand to hold it. LOL I just couldn't take any other stand than he built for this tank. Cross your fingers for me Mir!
Jo

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 13, 2012, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: Jo on December 13, 2012, 03:16:43 PM
Wow Dennis that is exactly what I was thinking.....

What can I say, great minds think alike!   ;)

Dennis

I was gonna say that too! but I'm sure your mind is greater than mine. I appreciate that though. ;)
Jo