• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 04, 2024, 05:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,380
  • Total Topics: 18,553
  • Online today: 233
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

9' stand build progress

Started by JC, November 05, 2014, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 11, 2014, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 11, 2014, 06:58:39 PM
You're counting on the fasteners alone to carry the weight? You trust therm more than I do. All of my racks are dado joints screwed together. Wood to wood to floor.

You sound like a foundation man.  I knew an exceptional carpenter once who was a foundation man.  He could build a stand that would support as much weight as the dirt under the foundation.  I wish he'd built my current stands.

I've been called a lot of things. Most of which can't be repeated in mixed company.

There are two methods of building. The right way and the wrong way. I am a structural man. Since I am niggardly with my funds I build the former as much as possible. I've been building for a few decades. Furniture, cabinets, barn, fish house, this house (well a lot of it anyhow.)
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

JC

You're counting on the fasteners alone to carry the weight? You trust therm more than I do. All of my racks are dado joints screwed together. Wood to wood to floor.

Yes I have 100% faith that it will hold. I was waiting for someone to make that comment haha. I have an 8' stand in that room that I've had for 3yrs with no issues and been taken apart and rebuilt 4 times from moving, that one has held a 75,40 breeder, and 4 20's

GraphicGr8s

I've learned the hard way never to trust fasteners alone. Eventually they let you down.

Here's a freebie. With all of the stuff I've built over the years I've also learned never to trust a tape measure. I use one for overall measurements but never for the actual build.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

JC

I would trust my stand any day over one bought at a pet shop made of crappy particle board that costs hundreds of dollars

LizStreithorst

Even the man I knew used a tape.  He told me that his grandfather refused to use a tape.  He only trusted the thing on the folding stick.  What do you use to measure close things?  Is there something other than a folding stick or a tape?
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Those pet store stands are made for people who never change water.  They use partial board for the floors of house trailers.  That pisses me off, too.  Josh, your stand is not in the same category as those stands.  Neither is it in the same category and what Graphic's describes.  It's every bit as good as the stands holding my tanks up.  One day I know they'll have to be replaced.  It will be a total nightmare.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 11, 2014, 08:13:45 PM
Even the man I knew used a tape.  He told me that his grandfather refused to use a tape.  He only trusted the thing on the folding stick.  What do you use to measure close things?  Is there something other than a folding stick or a tape?

It depends on what I am building. For my library I made a story stick. I decided what I wanted for a reveal and laid everything out with brass bars and the actual wood and plywood on that story stick. I used that story stick to layout every obstacle  in the room. I used the actual book to lay out the height of the shelves. Now I will admit when I build racks I do use a tape. I measure the tank and round up to the nearest inch. Then I cut the dadoes using the actual 2x material to mark them.

BallAquatics

As long as you use the right fasteners you'll be fine.  You just need a fastener with the proper strength per the load you are carrying.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 11, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

It depends on what I am building. For my library I made a story stick. I decided what I wanted for a reveal and laid everything out with brass bars and the actual wood and plywood on that story stick. I used that story stick to layout every obstacle  in the room. I used the actual book to lay out the height of the shelves. Now I will admit when I build racks I do use a tape. I measure the tank and round up to the nearest inch. Then I cut the dadoes using the actual 2x material to mark them.

I'd never heard of a story stick and I was a carpenters helper for a while :-[  I looked it up.  What a wonderful tool!

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 11, 2014, 08:38:17 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 11, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

I'd never heard of a story stick and I was a carpenters helper for a while :-[  I looked it up.  What a wonderful tool!

When you need repeatability there's nothing better. You measure once lay out as many parts as you need. All will be accurate. Ever use a plumb bob?

LizStreithorst

Of course.  A plumb bob cannot be wrong.  I used to think the same thing about levels.  Levels need to be pampered.  They can be thrown off easily.  The story stick must also take into account the width of the blade you use to cut the wood as well, right?  If not, it would be off, too.

b125killer

It looks good but that's the first thing I was thinking of. I notch the 2x4 or put supporting 2x4 to the ground.  I always build my stand to hold up a car if need be. It's better to error on the side of caution then pick up gallons of water out the fish room.
Scott

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 11, 2014, 08:47:29 PM
Of course.  A plumb bob cannot be wrong.  I used to think the same thing about levels.  Levels need to be pampered.  They can be thrown off easily.  The story stick must also take into account the width of the blade you use to cut the wood as well, right?  If not, it would be off, too.

Not necessary to account for the blade. You are always cutting on the waste side.

Mugwump

My stands are held together with dry wall screws..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 13, 2014, 08:33:23 AM
My stands are held together with dry wall screws..... ;D
Dry wall screws....one of man's best inventions. Right up there with peanut butter, jelly, 2x4's, duct tape, and WD40!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron