• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 06:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 490
Total: 491

Our "pet" deer

Started by Barb, November 01, 2014, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Look what was in our front yard a couple hours ago, 5:30pm, getting dark.  We have seen 6 or 7 at a time before but never 9!  6 Does and 3 fawns born last Spring.  Not a buck in sight.  They were about 40 feet in front of our house, I took the pic through 2 glass doors,  They would have run off if I went outside or even opened the door.  These deer eat lots of what I plant, but we enjoy them anyway.  There are plenty of deer where we are moving in a few months, so we won't be deerless.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Wow, you are so lucky.  They're all over my woods but I rarely get to see one because of the dogs.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..a pretty sight there, Barb....thanks for sharing.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Wow, that is a lot of deer.  They look great.  I saw 3 at one time during my early morning walk a couple of weeks ago.  Thanks for sharing. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

We've had up to 10 in our yard. And every time I have neither a camera nor a bow and arrow.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

b125killer

That's cool, i have seen turkeys and a red fox in my yard. The deer stay away but i know there around. I have seen there tracks. I have also heard coyotes close to the house but didn't see them. It's rutting season for the deer. I have to watch out for them when I drive too and from work.
Scott

ilroost

Cool. Don't see to many deer around the farm, but a lot of possums,skunks,coons and coyotes. With the chickens there is always some critter lurking

PaulineMi

That's such a pretty sight. We had a lot of deer where we used to live. Now we only see them occasionally. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Bushkill

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 01, 2014, 06:47:16 PM
We've had up to 10 in our yard. And every time I have neither a camera nor a bow and arrow.

Nor behind the wheel of a truck with a cow catcher.

We have so many, they actually outnumber the human population. If you go hiking on any trail in Pa. north of I80, all you see is a band of darkness right up to 7 feet high. They don't give anything much of a chance. Pa. game commission manages the seasons to maximize deer populations.

We live in an area that has lots of weekend homes and every so often, you'll see the typical newcomers' mistake. Last fall the guy down the road planted a LONG row of 6 foot tall arborvitae. The first time Caroline and I drove past it, all I could say was "the deer are gonna eat good in the hood this winter". Sure enough, by February all 20 of them looked like Charlie Brown Xmas trees. So what did he do this year? Planted another 20 in between the dead ones! Gotta have $ to burn.

LizStreithorst

lol  Wonder how long it will take him to learn?

Barb

Not much of a gardener is he?  I have lost so many plants to deer here, but I have learned what they do and don't eat, so I don't make the same mistake twice.  Pansies are their very favorite treat.  Like a candy bar to us I guess.
Barb

BallAquatics

Mine like to eat the tender new shoots of my black raspberry plants...

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 12, 2014, 04:19:16 PM
Mine like to eat the tender new shoots of my black raspberry plants...

Dennis

I haven't eaten a raspberry since I was a kid up north.  If I were able to grow raspberries here I would take up hunting if a dear nibbled my tender new shoots.  I'd have a freezer full of meat, too boot ;)