• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 05:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

More MetaFrames.

Started by GraphicGr8s, October 31, 2014, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 01, 2015, 06:55:02 PM
Makes it a bit hard to reuse the glass Jon. I was using a snap blade type knife. I was cleaning out the silicone making room  for the snap knife and the single edge blade just fit right in between the panes. Went pretty fast after that. Five minutes before the discovery I was using 40lb test mono. Single edge is way faster.

I agree, those single edge blades are handy....nice catch.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

So I've been under the weather since yesterday. While not feeling 100% I was pretty stir crazy. So I started putzing with the 10 gallon Metaframe. Got it put back together. Not very pretty right now. I will have a bit of excess silicone to cleanup. I didn't get all the stainless covered with the black silicone. Note to self to use a putty knife to spread it around. It also took a bit more than I figured. I am pretty sure however it will hold water without a problem. I WAS real careful when I sealed the inside corners.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

nice.....now tidy it up and do a test fill with water...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on April 20, 2015, 05:50:23 AM
nice.....now tidy it up and do a test fill with water...

Maybe I'll wait however until the silicone is fully cured?
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

GraphicGr8s

Stole a few minutes today to give the cleanup a try. Outside cleanup is easy. Single edge razor works wonders. Inside will be a little more time consuming but should not be hard at all. Just patience and finesse to get the lines straight. This was a learning lesson that while not perfect is acceptable. Until OCD sets in. I can already see buying the release agent and doing this one over. Must fight the urge. Planting heavy will cover the misses on the silicone. (not structural at all.)

GraphicGr8s

Got a line on another Metaframe. 10 gallon. $8 for that, a regular ten, a light and a corner filter. Yeah Baby!

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 03, 2016, 03:15:41 PM
Got a line on another Metaframe. 10 gallon. $8 for that, a regular ten, a light and a corner filter. Yeah Baby!

Stn/Stl hood/light ?....wow!
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Naw. No real hood as far as I can tel from the CL ad. I'm just stoked about the tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 03, 2016, 07:02:00 PM
Naw. No real hood as far as I can tel from the CL ad. I'm just stoked about the tank.

decent price.... |^|
Jon

ilroost

I have a 20 long that leaks and a s/s light for a 5 gallon. These bring back memories of my childhood. My dad had a 55 gal complete. Wish I had that now.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: ilroost on March 04, 2016, 06:19:46 PM
I have a 20 long that leaks and a s/s light for a 5 gallon. These bring back memories of my childhood. My dad had a 55 gal complete. Wish I had that now.

So long as the glass is intact and the slate isn't porous the fix is easy.
Get some Dow 795 silicone and reseal the inside of the tanks. The 795 is the only silicone I know that will adhere to the slate. That's what I will do to the tank I am looking to get tomorrow

John Patakos

we have several of the metal frame tanks ; not all by Metaframe..the most recent is a 100 gallon (72 x 18 x 18) that i got for $50.someone tried to drill the slate for an overflow.i will just patch over that.we have a 29 , 20H , 3 or 4 15s , couple of 10s , a 5 and a 2...i screwed up and missed a free 55..there are also 2 that came out of a 5 and 10 cent store that are odd sizes..one is 14 x 14 x 14....the other is 28 x 14 x 13.or something close to that..lol..the 14 cube is set up with some shrimp.

ghonk

My father had 4-5 cube tanks back in the 70's,i thought they were 12'' but may have been 14'' like you mentioned.
Best i can remember his weren't stainless,but some kind of white metal.

GraphicGr8s

Talked to the seller today and we'll meet tomorrow. She has a booth at a flea market so I will talk to her to keep an eye out for them.

GraphicGr8s

And I got it. With the stainless light also. It's not a 10. Haven't measured it yet but maybe 7gallons?

Glass and stainless look decent. Bit of rust on the top of it but nothing major. Going to reseal with 795 and fill the sucker.