• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 11:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

More MetaFrames.

Started by GraphicGr8s, October 31, 2014, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

It's neat to watch it done in steps too.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

This is interesting to follow. Thanks for sharing it...
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GraphicGr8s

Worked on the 10 gallon for a little while. It's just a frame right now with a lot of the sealant still there so I took mineral spirits to it. Slow going. Patience is surely recommended now. I managed to clean 90% of the frame. All that's left is a few stubborn spots and the channel on the top frame. Let's see when I get time to finish. BTW temp was very nice outside while I was working on it but the skeeters are ferocious.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Thanks for the update...watch those skeeters...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I have a buddy that has a few few of these. I did not know if they were worth messing with. He said I could have them.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on January 12, 2015, 07:04:50 AM
I have a buddy that has a few few of these. I did not know if they were worth messing with. He said I could have them.

..grab em... ;D....see if he has the 'original' metal stands too.....the scrolled ones can be worth big bucks.....
Jon

JR

I dont know about the stands but he has the tops with them

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on January 12, 2015, 08:01:00 AM
I dont know about the stands but he has the tops with them

the Stn Stl tops are superb...I'm lucky enough to have one for mine....works too.. ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: JR on January 12, 2015, 07:04:50 AM

It all depends. Me? I like the look and it's a simple spare time project. Or when I really don't feel up to doing other things. If they cost nothing then it's the time you invest and some glass and silicone. And with Petco's $1/gallon sale the glass is cheap.

How many does your buddy have? If the glass is intact then you can reseal it with Dow 795. My tanks have broken glass and it is easier (and smarter) to take them apart then to try a repair. If the glass wasn't cracked I'd have tried a reseal though.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

JR

Mike has 2 55s a 20 and a 5 the 5 has a broken glass on the side.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: JR on January 12, 2015, 02:48:16 PM
Mike has 2 55s a 20 and a 5 the 5 has a broken glass on the side.

Heck if it wasn't so far I'd grab them. I've learned quite a bit so far. Of course the real test is when I put them back together.

The tanks with the glass intact should be a fairly easy reseal all on the inside. That is if they even leak. One of my 55's I tested outside with no leaks. Bring it into the kitchen and of course it's a different story. I wanted it to be a dirted tank so I put the dirt, planted it, and filled it. That's when it started leaking. After a few days the leaks stopped. I imagine the dirt sealed it up.

The Dow 795 is supposed to adhere to the slate. If so you can just do a normal reseal. If you don't want to trust that method cut a piece of glass for the bottom and seal glass to glass.  Just don't let that piece of Americana go to the dump.

Going to NY any time soon?

GraphicGr8s

So I've been getting the first 10 gallon frame spotless. And Although it's not perfect it is ready for reconstruction in my opinion. So from another forum I got the brilliant idea to harvest the replacement glass from new tanks from Petcos $1/gallon sale. I started the harvest tonight. Let's just say once I finish these tanks up I won't be harvesting glass for my tops anytime soon. 2 hours and I still managed to crack a piece on the bottom. And the Metaframe is wider than today's Tetra 10 gallon tanks.

Next project I'll go with virgin glass.

GraphicGr8s

So I just wanted to see what the 10 would look like with the new glass. So I put the harvested glass in without silicone. Real nice. The best part is the top frame has a channel to hold the glass. Anyhow I put the glass bottom in just to lock it all in place. Me likey.

Now to get some acetone to clean the silicone remnants off and get it done. I'll rebuild the one ten and the five in one shot. Then the other ten and the 55.

I also, by accident found an easier way to get the tanks apart.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 01, 2015, 06:31:45 PM
So I just wanted to see what the 10 would look like with the new glass. So I put the harvested glass in without silicone. Real nice. The best part is the top frame has a channel to hold the glass. Anyhow I put the glass bottom in just to lock it all in place. Me likey.

Now to get some acetone to clean the silicone remnants off and get it done. I'll rebuild the one ten and the five in one shot. Then the other ten and the 55.

I also, by accident found an easier way to get the tanks apart.

..just drop em ????
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Makes it a bit hard to reuse the glass Jon. I was using a snap blade type knife. I was cleaning out the silicone making room  for the snap knife and the single edge blade just fit right in between the panes. Went pretty fast after that. Five minutes before the discovery I was using 40lb test mono. Single edge is way faster.