• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 08:58:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Aquascaping in the wall street journal

Started by Jdmcfast, December 11, 2012, 11:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Nice!!!...Manny and Cecil would be right into that set up....LOL...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Hey this guy has cats too. One of the photos shows a little pot of the cat grass or pet grass. It really is an amazing set up. There is a whole thread from where they bought a new home and he took it down from rental house and moved to new house and started over. I constantly sat with my mouth open and drooling looking at pics!
Jo

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 12, 2012, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: Jo on December 12, 2012, 02:25:33 PM
That is what I want too, low tech.

I think I have the most fun playing around with small tanks, I'm partial to the glass 5.5 gallon rectangle shaped tanks.  For next to nothing you can pick-up a 5.5 gallon tank and get started playing with all kinds of substrate.  You can use a halogen desk lamp or make your own single bulb CFL fixture on the cheap too!

If you want to try some harder to grow plants, it's easy enough to DIY a simple CO2 system for a small tank.  A 1 liter bottle a bit of yeast and some sugar, a short piece of silicon air line and a fine bubble air stone or CO2 diffuser and away we go!!!!!

and if it all goes south... it takes about 10 minutes to clean out a 5 gallon tank and start a new project.  Go for it Jo!  You'll have a ball.

Dennis

Dennis I totally missed this post in my excitement over big tank. You are so right though I never really thought of it like that. I am kinda doing that in a little way with a 10 gallon. I just have a sponge filter, heater, regular gravel, I have 2 sword plants, duck weed, moss and a couple of plants I don't know the name of. I also have 5 harlequin rasbora's in there. It is one of my favs. I also have heard of people using plain kitty litter, have you heard of this? This tank I posted a pic of. The guy put a layer of kitty litter in there.
Jo

PaulineMi

I had 4 gallon low tech planted tanks and enjoyed little fish that would fit in them. 

Here are inhabitants of one of the tanks:

Microdevario kubotai

Axelrodia riesei

In the other tank I had these little pseudomugil furcatus
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I like little fish too. I sometimes wish that we'd set up more tanks for them..or even a different section of the fishroom....HHMmmmm..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jo on December 13, 2012, 06:09:37 PM
I also have heard of people using plain kitty litter, have you heard of this?

Yes I have, but I've never tried it my self.  I've also read a lot about a product called "SoilMaster Select".  It's made for baseball fields but has quite a following among planted tank enthusiasts.  It's inexpensive and comes in several colors, just Google "SoilMaster Select"...

Here's a pretty good piece on substrates.....  http://www.guitarfish.org/2009/02/04/substrate

Dennis

Jo

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 13, 2012, 07:23:56 PM
I had 4 gallon low tech planted tanks and enjoyed little fish that would fit in them. 

Here are inhabitants of one of the tanks:

Microdevario kubotai

Axelrodia riesei

In the other tank I had these little pseudomugil furcatus

These fish are beautiful! I especially like the green one!
Jo

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 13, 2012, 08:47:04 PM
Quote from: Jo on December 13, 2012, 06:09:37 PM
I also have heard of people using plain kitty litter, have you heard of this?

Yes I have, but I've never tried it my self.  I've also read a lot about a product called "SoilMaster Select".  It's made for baseball fields but has quite a following among planted tank enthusiasts.  It's inexpensive and comes in several colors, just Google "SoilMaster Select"...

Here's a pretty good piece on substrates.....  http://www.guitarfish.org/2009/02/04/substrate

Dennis

Nice video. I will check that out.
Jo

BillT

Microdevario  kubotai. Cute fish, looks nice Jo.
I have often considered getting some of those.
How are they doing for you?

Jo

Hey Bill,
Not mine they are Pauline's. I'd be interested to know where they came from also. I've never seen them before Pauline's pics.
They are all 3 really beautiful!
Jo

Jdmcfast

From what I've been able to find soil master select has been discontinued and is no longer available:-[
Josh

Jo

Oh bummer! Just when you learn about something new you wanna try!

The planted tank says Turface is replacement for Soil master
Thesy say to check with these people for it.
Lesco/John Deere Landscaping dealer for Turface products
Jo