• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

Aquascaping in the wall street journal

Started by Jdmcfast, December 11, 2012, 11:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Josh

Mugwump

Good find, Josh....he's one of a kind. great article too
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Jo

Jo

b125killer

Scott

BallAquatics

While I certainly enjoy Mr. Amano's work, I've even got some of his books, what he creates is an artificial environment that requires hi-tech equipment to sustain.  If you want to 'Create nature', as the article states, you need to read Dianne Walstad, http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/rr00388.htm.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 11, 2012, 07:44:13 PM
While I certainly enjoy Mr. Amano's work, I've even got some of his books, what he creates is an artificial environment that requires hi-tech equipment to sustain.  If you want to 'Create nature', as the article states, you need to read Dianne Walstad, http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/rr00388.htm.

Dennis

They both have their niche....Mr Amano seems to be the better photographer, while M's Walstad has the edge on natural bio setups...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Dennis

I have read this before. Do you have any set up like this? So tempting to try.
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on December 12, 2012, 10:38:23 AM

Dennis

Da book.............ahem.....free download...

http://www.2shared.com/document/JqjJjxaY/Ecology_of_the_Planted_Aquariu.html
Jon

BallAquatics

Not currently.  When I have a spare tank, which here lately hasn't been happening often, I like to dabble with low-tech planted set-ups.

I have plants in almost all my tanks, but they are not what I call planted tanks.  The plants are all purposely easy to remove. In pots, attached to wood / rocks, or just free floating.  You can easily experiment with some of Dianne's methods using pots with soil or potting mixture without committing to a complete set-up.

To me, much of the beauty of Dianne's work is in the simplicity of it all.  Mr. Amano on the other hand has a company devoted to selling you the things you'll need to recreate his unnatural set-ups.

Dennis

Jo

Thanks Jon, got it saved to my removable disk. I want to try this on very small scale!
Jo

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 12, 2012, 10:56:54 AM

Not currently.  When I have a spare tank, which here lately hasn't been happening often, I like to dabble with low-tech planted set-ups.

I have plants in almost all my tanks, but they are not what I call planted tanks.  The plants are all purposely easy to remove. In pots, attached to wood / rocks, or just free floating.  You can easily experiment with some of Dianne's methods using pots with soil or potting mixture without committing to a complete set-up.

To me, much of the beauty of Dianne's work is in the simplicity of it all.  Mr. Amano on the other hand has a company devoted to selling you the things you'll need to recreate his unnatural set-ups.

Dennis

That is what I want too, low tech. I watched a video once not sure if it was her or just someone doing what she instructs. It was a acryllic octagon small tank. They just put a betta in it. As it progressed it was really nice.
Jo

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jo on December 12, 2012, 02:25:33 PM
That is what I want too, low tech.

I think I have the most fun playing around with small tanks, I'm partial to the glass 5.5 gallon rectangle shaped tanks.  For next to nothing you can pick-up a 5.5 gallon tank and get started playing with all kinds of substrate.  You can use a halogen desk lamp or make your own single bulb CFL fixture on the cheap too!

If you want to try some harder to grow plants, it's easy enough to DIY a simple CO2 system for a small tank.  A 1 liter bottle a bit of yeast and some sugar, a short piece of silicon air line and a fine bubble air stone or CO2 diffuser and away we go!!!!!

And if it all goes south... it takes about 10 minutes to clean out a 5 gallon tank and start a new project.  Go for it Jo!  You'll have a ball.

Dennis

Mugwump

We have some plants in every tank...little of this and that..mostly Amazon Swords, Anubias(various varieties/sizes) Water Sprite, Java fern, guppy grass, duckweed,etc...I set up a 10 gal BN fry tank and threw in a small Water Spite shoot....it grew like crazy( Frenzy fertilizer???)..anyway, I have since moved three full grown plants out of there, each time adding another Water Sprite shoot.....I don't know what it is about that tank...the algae that I let go, or what..but I'm not arguing with success....LOL
Jon

Jo

Look at this tank I found on TN & KY forum. This is some super duper aquascaping.

Jo