• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:24:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 271
Total: 271

New Plants

Started by Jo, December 10, 2012, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

I got some new plants today from the TN club I found.
So in love with these plants.

Jo

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Nice plants. Do you Know what they are? I think I know a few but not sure.
Scott

Jo

Yes from left to right the lady I got them from said she was told Brazillian Sword. Anubias on the wood. Then Stargrass, ludwigia, and Bolbitis. Which I just found out doesn't need to be in substrate. It needs to be secured to a piece of wood.  So I will have to fix that tonight.
What do most of you do as far as securing a plant to wood? Last night I just used sewing thread to attach anubias to wood.
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on December 11, 2012, 08:56:00 AM
Yes from left to right the lady I got them from said she was told Brazillian Sword. Anubias on the wood. Then Stargrass, ludwigia, and Bolbitis. Which I just found out doesn't need to be in substrate. It needs to be secured to a piece of wood.  So I will have to fix that tonight.
What do most of you do as far as securing a plant to wood? Last night I just used sewing thread to attach anubias to wood.

Clear fishing line works well...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Ok, thanks Jon. I thought of that but worried about it cutting into plants.  I also wondered about those plastic covered twist ties that come around heater cord. Would that work?
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on December 11, 2012, 10:27:04 AM
Ok, thanks Jon. I thought of that but worried about it cutting into plants.  I also wondered about those plastic covered twist ties that come around heater cord. Would that work?

I don't know if the twist ties would rust or not....fishing line works nice, just don't tie it so tight...hehe
Jon

P4Angels

I have found that using a carefully placed rock works the best.  Don't forget to use the old vinegar trick to see if its aqaura safe or not. 
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Jo

That is kinda what I was thinking about them rusting. I didn't tie thread tight. I will try this other one with some fishing line tonight.

P4Angels I do have some rocks in tank already would you tie this plant to the rock? The lady said roots should not be submerged so I couldn't lay a rock on the roots. I planted plant in substrate last night, I just came home for lunch and pulled it out.
Jo

ilroost

sewing thread also works

Jo

That is what I used on anubia's. I sure hope these do well. I really love the look of them in the tank.
Jo

BallAquatics

If you use a cotton thread it will just rot away by the time the plant is attached.  I use rubber bands.

Dennis

Jo

I was using a rubberband on an anubia in the other tank and it eventually broke. So I'm trying thread now. I did not get to work on tank last night so still don't have it attached to wood. I'm going to try the fishing line when I get a chance.

Also if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'm open to it. Would really love success with planted tank.

I also found out that Seachem Excel will melt vals, so I'm thinking that is what happened to them.
Jo

Mugwump

Salt water folks use 'super glue' for corals.....might work here too..
Jon

P4Angels

Quote from: Jo on December 12, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
I was using a rubberband on an anubia in the other tank and it eventually broke. So I'm trying thread now. I did not get to work on tank last night so still don't have it attached to wood. I'm going to try the fishing line when I get a chance.

Also if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'm open to it. Would really love success with planted tank.

I also found out that Seachem Excel will melt vals, so I'm thinking that is what happened to them.

Rubberbands like you said break, so one day while out shopping @ walmart and we found green zip ties and I thought BAM great for securing mos to rocks and drift wood...  Works and You cant see the zip tie.  Just don't sinch them down so tight that the plants die off...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...