• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

12 gallon bookshelf tank ideas?

Started by Ron Sower, October 21, 2014, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Now that I'm through with the outside summer chores and projects I'm getting my tanks back in order. Our 12g Mr. Aqua bookshelf tank is empty and dry at the moment. My desire is to set it up again as a planted tank with nano species that aren't really jumpers because we won't have a cover on it.

So far I'm thinking C. pygmeaus and/or C. hasbrosus, Boraras brigittae and maybe Betta albimarginata. Any suggestions for others?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..get a cheap pane of glass cut at the hardware store and get a nice shoal of the Celestial Pearl danios from Dennis....you'll love em.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on October 21, 2014, 06:30:56 PM
..get a cheap pane of glass cut at the hardware store and get a nice shoal of the Celestial Pearl danios from Dennis....you'll love em.. ;D

Good suggestion.  CPSs are really nice, tiny fish.  A dozen of them makes for an attractive group that's always on the go, hunting and showing off for each other.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on October 21, 2014, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 21, 2014, 06:30:56 PM
CPD's have been a favorite of min in the past. Jumpers though.  I have thought of a way to get a piece of glass and keep the tank looking the way wifey wants it to look.  I'll try that and see what she thinks, then if good, and maybe get some CPDs.

Dennis, how long before you quit shipping in the winter weather?

Good suggestion.  CPSs are really nice, tiny fish.  A dozen of them makes for an attractive group that's always on the go, hunting and showing off for each other.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Okay, now.  I have a layer of red clay dust on the bottom of the tank. Now to clean some sand, and cover that layer and place some substrate plant fert tabs throughout the area...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Now there is a layer of light tan sand on top of the clay dust. Tonight maybe I'll insert a few dwarf Sagittarius and glue some Trident Java fern onto some wood.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Take any pictures of the progress steps???......be nice to see it as a tutorial... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Problem is....I haven't figured how to upload them. Beings how it's a leisure day I should work on that right now, however I don't have any of the work I did today. I'll just work on another thread and see if I can upload a photo of one of my favorites.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 22, 2014, 06:55:59 PM
Problem is....I haven't figured how to upload them. Beings how it's a leisure day I should work on that right now, however I don't have any of the work I did today. I'll just work on another thread and see if I can upload a photo of one of my favorites.

use the 'attachment and other options' below...you may have to resize them???...but that's easy... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 22, 2014, 03:56:07 PM
Dennis, how long before you quit shipping in the winter weather?

Probably another two or three weeks.  Just about out of fish to ship though.  If you think you'd like some shoot me a PM and I'll hold them back for you.

Dennis

Ron Sower

Miss Lucy doesn't like the fine tan sand in the tank. So I will start over again after we go pick out substrate together.

Dennis, It's going to be every bit of 3 weeks before this tank is ready to go. Shoot! I know I can get them locally, but I'd rather get them from you. We'll see how it goes. Do you have 15 CPD's left?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 22, 2014, 11:42:11 PM
Dennis, It's going to be every bit of 3 weeks before this tank is ready to go. Shoot! I know I can get them locally, but I'd rather get them from you. We'll see how it goes. Do you have 15 CPD's left?

No, I'm down to my last 10 or 12.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 23, 2014, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on October 22, 2014, 11:42:11 PM

No, I'm down to my last 10 or 12.....

Dennis
I'm not going to ask you to hold them, then.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 23, 2014, 10:18:03 AM

Not a problem.  In fact, I was kind of hoping you would say that.   ;)

It's not been a very productive year in my fish room and I haven't been actively trying to sell any fish.  I'm hoping to rectify that over the winter though, so if you find yourself still looking for some next spring be sure to let me know.

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 23, 2014, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on October 23, 2014, 10:18:03 AM

Not a problem.  In fact, I was kind of hoping you would say that.   ;)

It's not been a very productive year in my fish room and I haven't been actively trying to sell any fish.  I'm hoping to rectify that over the winter though, so if you find yourself still looking for some next spring be sure to let me know.

Dennis
Will do!!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron