• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 268
Total: 269

What do you think

Started by JR, October 18, 2014, 03:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

I know a guy who used to raise tropical fish in a very closed system (no new fish coming in) to sell to wholesalers.
His guppies were never exposed to the outside pathogens and were very susceptible to some nasty guppy virus from Asia and would often get sick when exposed to the outside world. He was pretty pissed off about poeple importing the virus from Asia (in guppies from Asia), since it got around everywhere. Other fish were exposed to it and developed immunity, but his did not.

This involved a specific immunity to a specific pathogen. An organism can't be immune to something it has not been exposed to. Presumably the rest of the immune system worked fine. This would be different from a general immune system malaise. If it immune system were just no working, any old opportunistic bacteria in a tank could invade a fish and eat it from the inside.

I ran a large system with a lot of UV and a pretty good turnover rate. We did bacterial counts in the water in the tanks and it was full of water. Someone there did a study of the bacteria on and in a zebrafish and count (using molecular techniques) something like 16,000 different species of bacteria. This is one of the main reasons i don't think UV alone can eliminate bacterial in tanks.

We also made a completely sterile room and raised sterile fish in there. These fish could survive until about 7 days after fertilization when their egg yolk food ran out. then they died. Their problem was that the right kind of bacteria were required for the inside of the intestines to develop properly. The bacteria would also help digest food. Unfortunately, they died too young to tell anything about the immune system.

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on October 20, 2014, 12:13:04 AM
I know a guy who used to raise tropical fish in a very closed system (no new fish coming in) to sell to wholesalers.
His guppies were never exposed to the outside pathogens and were very susceptible to some nasty guppy virus from Asia and would often get sick when exposed to the outside world. He was pretty pissed off about poeple importing the virus from Asia (in guppies from Asia), since it got around everywhere. Other fish were exposed to it and developed immunity, but his did not.

This involved a specific immunity to a specific pathogen. An organism can't be immune to something it has not been exposed to. Presumably the rest of the immune system worked fine. This would be different from a general immune system malaise. If it immune system were just no working, any old opportunistic bacteria in a tank could invade a fish and eat it from the inside.

I ran a large system with a lot of UV and a pretty good turnover rate. We did bacterial counts in the water in the tanks and it was full of water. Someone there did a study of the bacteria on and in a zebrafish and count (using molecular techniques) something like 16,000 different species of bacteria. This is one of the main reasons i don't think UV alone can eliminate bacterial in tanks.

We also made a completely sterile room and raised sterile fish in there. These fish could survive until about 7 days after fertilization when their egg yolk food ran out. then they died. Their problem was that the right kind of bacteria were required for the inside of the intestines to develop properly. The bacteria would also help digest food. Unfortunately, they died too young to tell anything about the immune system.

Excellent explanation, Bill!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

yup, seen a few breeders get anal over sterile tanks too....and they get a rep for weak fish because they have trouble surviving in other folks tanks......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson