• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 320
Total: 320

DIY lights

Started by Mugwump, December 09, 2012, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Great DIY...  Until you go and look at the price to make them....
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on December 09, 2012, 10:41:14 PM
Great DIY...  Until you go and look at the price to make them....

LOL....I hear ya....I wonder if it'd be cheaper to 'cherry pic' the idea and shop the parts??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

To the best of my figuring he spent roughly $410.  I may have missed a few things and shipping is not in there so figure about $425.00

That is not too bad considering the amount of light he is getting.  Plus the ability to dim it.  If you don't want the dimmers the drivers are a little cheaper. 

he has 40 bulbs all capable of running at about 3 watts if he wants to.  Most low end LED fixtures (even the reef ready ones) use .5 to 1 watt LEDs.  This will be a very bright light.

by using the 3 colors of white along with the blue and the dimmers he will be able to adjust the look and more importantly the spectrum to whatever he needs it to be. 

It may not be a cheaper alternative but it is certainly more flexible and if you are going to get into a commercially available system that will give you the flexibility this does (if there are any)  it may very well be a lot cheaper.

I doubt I'll ever use it but thanks for the video Jon, I'm definitely putting Rapid LED in my favorites.   
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

You hit the nail on the head, Steve..it's very adaptable to types of tanks, and fish. Also, with that output and spectrum, it should work well with plants. The lower powered LED's don't penatrate deep enough for some plants.
Jon

b125killer

Them are some cool lights but too much money for me.
Scott

Jo

Too much $ for me too! I found an article somewhere on some chicken brooder lights that was really cool! I want to try that sometime.
Jo