• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 05:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Dantum Angels

Started by PaulineMi, September 21, 2014, 09:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I just read that David has copywritten the Dantum angel name. It cannot be used in advertising or selling these guys.  He and Carol Francis will be teaming up to develop various strains of Dantums, i.e., Dantum paraibas, etc.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 21, 2014, 09:56:42 AM
I just read that David has copywritten the Dantum angel name. It cannot be used in advertising or selling these guys.  He and Carol Francis will be teaming up to develop various strains of Dantums, i.e., Dantum paraibas, etc.

Carol's already had a couple years head start on this..........copy writing a phenotype after the fact...interesting......wonder what folks will come up with for a phenotype name to circumvent it...LOL...now no 'Facebook group' will be safe from a flood of pics and advertising... ;D
'Albino invert stripes'
'invert strippers'
'Philippine blue inverted pariabas'
yada yada.....

add yours here..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It will end up being the same thing we have with Discus.  We call it "the name game".  All it does is serve to make it more difficult for a newbie to figure out.  I'm not surprised that David was the first one to do this with Angels.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 10:22:59 AM
It will end up being the same thing we have with Discus.  We call it "the name game".  All it does is serve to make it more difficult for a newbie to figure out.  I'm not surprised that David was the first one to do this with Angels.

I know....but it'll have to be from this point forward....the present phenotype names are set in stone now....'Dantum' really becomes nothing but a buzz word identifying David as the seller of them. Same for Carol.....the copy right is a mute point......just an attention grabber....we'll see...David's a sharp guy, he knows how to get the word out on things like this... I don't see it changing anything much...except maybe on Carol's part..it'll be more postings of fish for sale...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That's good to hear, but if I were Carol I'd be thinking that he has one hell of a nerve.

PaulineMi

I thought these were Danziger Dantums.  So like you said Liz......it has the potential to become a confusing name game.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 10:38:59 AM
That's good to hear, but if I were Carol I'd be thinking that he has one hell of a nerve.

Why?????....she's had those Dantums before anyone else( from David) and is partnering with him on this.......she'll ride the coat tails to additional sales....

Danziger was just his source.........he's using just 'Dantum'....it's just a stab at corralling a propitiatory name for business use....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I didn't realize that they were partners.  I still don't like the idea of copy writing the name of a strain of fish.  It only adds to confusion.  Is there a way to refer to them in Greek?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:27:03 AM
I didn't realize that they were partners.  I still don't like the idea of copy writing the name of a strain of fish.  It only adds to confusion.  Is there a way to refer to them in Greek?

LOL...Greek or Latin would get too messy. ;D...just like discus another similar phenotype name will eventually surface....I admire David's moxie....it's an attention getter, for sure... ;D  We'll just have to wait and watch it play itself out, that's all. 
Jon

LizStreithorst

Why would Greek be messy?  Greek is the truth.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:43:41 AM

No one has done any cross breeding to the Dantun's yet to provide what their make up is genetically....supposedly just an Albino to an Altum....but more likely a just a Peruvian scalare, IMHO

Greek....?
LOL...that's why discus folks shy from it...?...always wondered why they haven't probed the genetics, it would provide genotype names and make breeding crosses so much easier.....at least you have expectations of results....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on September 21, 2014, 12:40:52 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:43:41 AM

No one has done any cross breeding to the Dantun's yet to provide what their make up is genetically....supposedly just an Albino to an Altum....but more likely a just a Peruvian scalare, IMHO

Greek....?
LOL...that's why discus folks shy from it...?...always wondered why they haven't probed the genetics, it would provide genotype names and make breeding crosses so much easier.....at least you have expectations of results....

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:27:03 AM

I am in agreement with Liz on the copy writing issue. 
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Rick, the girl at DaaH, has done a lot of deconstruction of strains.  The genetics of Discus is a conglomeration of a huge mess of crosses.  He has come up with some weird results by breeding his mutts.  I wish that somebody who has the desire to further the hobby was fluent in Greek would take up the challenge. 

Nicholson maintains that everything goes back to Turks.  I'm sure he's right, but there is no way to even say Turk in Greek.

PaulineMi

Imagine using the Latin species identifier with a Greek strain title.  :o 

While a strain is being developed it would be in beta mode?    8)