• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 05:00:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

As long as we're talking about crosses....

Started by LizStreithorst, September 12, 2014, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

What is good to cross to HB.  I introduced Zebra.  I back crossed to pick up ps which is a weak but beautiful gene.  I can think of nothing but crossing to a blue. It has been done before but I don't mind reinventing the wheel if the wheel is hand made by me.

If I don't go to blue, what other choices are there that might excite me?   My HB's are good but if I go on breeding the same old thing I will surely die of boredom.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I like the blue half blacks, there a pretty fish. You could also do an albino half black. I think Ed has a koi half black too.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 12, 2014, 09:41:54 PM
I like the blue half blacks, there a pretty fish. You could also do an albino half black. I think Ed has a koi half black too.

Ed has a few koi that look similar HB, but you can not have a Koi HB....the gold marble, or gold, in double dose will mask the expression......I would have to double check, but I believe that a/a masks it too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

As for the Albino half blacks....here's a thread from some time back....they never were quite successful tho......I thought that I'd seen a pic of something with reversed colors...or lighter colored in the half black expression area...???....can't find it yet......??...could have been a mutant gold?....Frank was trying g/g h/h a while back but I don't think he scored...g/g masking the black..anyway....

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=7967&highlight=albino+half+blacks.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Here's a pic from further in the thread....note the partial HB expression....also, I'm not seeing where James did a cross to a true HB to verify he had h/h, in lieu of h/+.....??? 

Jon

JC

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 12, 2014, 08:44:58 PM
What is good to cross to HB.  I introduced Zebra.  I back crossed to pick up ps which is a weak but beautiful gene.  I can think of nothing but crossing to a blue. It has been done before but I don't mind reinventing the wheel if the wheel is hand made by me.

If I don't go to blue, what other choices are there that might excite me?   My HB's are good but if I go on breeding the same old thing I will surely die of boredom.

Hey Liz how many half black pairs are you currently working with?  I've always been fascinated by half blacks but never had any

EdKaz

QuoteEd has a few koi that look similar HB, but you can not have a Koi HB

Ed is down to just this ONE that has a kinda halfblack look to it anymore. As they continue to grow out, the black in the back section of the others has spread and thinned out much more than this one did.

Sorry bout the crappy phone camera pix (too damn lazy to get the real camera out right now)

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: JC on September 13, 2014, 11:07:13 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 12, 2014, 08:44:58 PM

Hey Liz how many half black pairs are you currently working with?  I've always been fascinated by half blacks but never had any

I have a ton of hb pairs but most are for sale.  I'm currently working with 2 pairs.  One pair is very prolific and are excellent parents.  They're both ps's.  The other pair is a superveil male and standard female, both het for ps.  They foil me at every turn.  Haven't been able to get get their kids to free swimming yet.  I have many sub adults and may keep one more pair.

JC

Neat. Do you have good success with them turning?  I've heard it can be hard to get ones that turn or have a very very low percentage that do turn if any do

LizStreithorst

It varies hugely from pair to pair. My ps pair that are so prolfic came from a spawn that close to 100% turned, so I have high hopes for their fry.  I usually can count on 30 to 40% turning.

JC

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

JC

Oh yeah I remember them from your place Jon. Gorgeous fish