• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 248
Total: 248

The Time has Come

Started by LizStreithorst, August 25, 2014, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I need to do a big huge cull.  I put myself in this position because I hate empty tanks.  Suddenly I find with myself with too many nice fish that I can't sell locally and can't sell on line because FedEx overnight cost's $100.  I got myself into this mess, so now I have to suffer.  I hope I will have learned my lesson. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Fedex and the P O both have two day shipping that's reasonable......if too hot, just time the shipping during a 'cooler' period....when the real heat has slacked off a bit...70's-80.....so overnight isn't neede all the time...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't thing that I'll go that way, Mug.  It's a good idea but selling fish that I'm not excited about is not my cup of tea.  I need to do the deed.  I am trying to decide on the method.  It's too many to slap on the concrete which is easiest on the fish but takes an emotional toll .  With ice water you watch them swim around in it until they die which isn't fun.  With clove oil the fish is poisoned and can't be dug into the garden.

This whole damn thing is my own fault.  I will not make this mistake again. 

Mugwump

Liz.....lots of ice, lots of ice....not just ice water.....ice with water in it...they don't swim when I do it....a few try but blip..it's over....plop em in the bucket, poke em under with your net...but the water just has to be cold, cold, colder.......good luck..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thank you.  I will buy ice and do it right.  Last time I did this, back when I had the Discus Plague,  I just used what the ice maker made. It was too slow.   It was hard on my heart.

BillT

QuoteLiz.....lots of ice, lots of ice....not just ice water.....ice with water in it...they don't swim when I do it....a few try but blip..it's over....plop em in the bucket, poke em under with your net...but the water just has to be cold, cold, colder.......good luck..

I'm with Mug.
This is how most labs kill extra zebrafish, something that is under close critical scrutiny from animal care and animal rights people.
The fish die quickly, but like he says its ice with some water. You also want a good volume so a bunch of fish won't warm it up a bit.

PaulineMi

I also use lots and lots of ice.  It's over in seconds.

Liz your predicament is exactly why I don't breed my beautiful fish. It's so, so tempting...I can never say never, but living out in the boonies makes finding homes difficult. The LFS  (30 miles away) is one of the two best in the state.   Wouldn't you know they breed their own angels and sell Hans discus.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Thanks for the advice lady and gents.  Y'all are very kind.  Nobody likes killing fish. 

I still need to do a deed this week end (I always put off difficult jobs until the week end).  I've had a bit of a reprieve.  The guy from the pet store in Hattiesburg called me and wants 30 fish.  He ordered 30 a couple of months ago, too.  If I can count on moving 30 every couple of months I don't have to do the huge kill.  I can do a moderate kill. 

It's not worth keeping many large breeding age fish.  He only pays $5.00 for them and he only wants 6 at a time.  He likes mediums which he pays $3.00 for and asked this time for some quarters which he pays only $1.30 for.  How people make money wholesaling is beyond me.

I've decided that this week end I will kill most of my adults which are unturned hb's.  I'll retain the pearl scales.  I'll cull my koi medium's hard, and keep most of Ed's little guys.  That way I'll give the fish more elbow room, and still have room to produce more.  I'll only have to buy one bag of ice, not two.

Mugwump

...It's just a necessary evil...culling....but it has to be done...it comes with the territory..
Jon

Barb

Sorry Liz.  I am with Pauline.  I agree, ice is the way, lots of it.  Remember to save space for the fish I will send you soon ;D
Barb

LizStreithorst

I'm just not like you and Pauline, Barb  For me, if I can't breed them I don't want them.  I can't help it.  It's the way I am.

I have had two tanks open for your pair for a week.  One is a 40 cube, the other is a 29 high.  Your pair produce so many fry that I think I'll put them in the 40.

Mug said, the first generation will have only Marbles.  The fun will start with the second generation.  I have the opportunity of introducing the veil gene.  As a breeder I don't know what more fun could I ask for.  I know other people have made a blue marble pearl scale.  I want to make my own.  l