• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 01:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122

HB pair 2nd spawn..

Started by Mugwump, August 30, 2014, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on September 01, 2014, 02:13:36 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 01, 2014, 11:37:52 AM
Please 'splain me this.  If the eggs turn white and then are gone how can it be other that either a fertility or egg eating problem?

'Whities' can be caused by environment, parent neglect, the spawn surface, etc....fertility is normally not a concern....if they scarf the 'whities', this is a good thing...it removes a potential source of bacteria build up within the other 'good' eggs in the spawn.....

Forgive me.  Everything you said is true.  In this case the eggs are mostly there during the day but are gone by the next morning.  The obvious conclusion is that they are egg eaters.   I hope that you prove me wrong, but you won't.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Do you leave a light on for the pair/eggs ???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If same is true of Angels as Discus, I shouldn't need to leave a light on.  The environment they come from is the same.  Lights don't shine on the Amazon at night.

I leave a 40 watt light on in my living room.  Once my eyes adjust, I can see my way around.  If I can see, the fish can see.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 01, 2014, 05:33:25 PM
If same is true of Angels as Discus, I shouldn't need to leave a light on.  The environment they come from is the same.  Lights don't shine on the Amazon at night.

I leave a 40 watt light on in my living room.  Once my eyes adjust, I can see my way around.  If I can see, the fish can see.

...just ask'd....I do...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I sleep in my fish room (yes, I do have a nice bed room, It's that I like to hear the bubbles).  I depend on the light that drifts into the fish room from the lamp I leave on in the living room.

I noticed something interesting last night, though.  My best male and his new female spawned yesterday.  The tank lights on the timers started clicking off one by one.  I turned off the light on the pair's tank manually.  There were other tank lights on so the pair could see but the male started beating the shit out of his mate.  I turned their light back on and pointed it partly toward the wall so the tank was lit but the light wasn't strong enough to bother me.  The male quit being mean.  Very strange.

The pair has a bunch of white eggs on the bottom of the tank today but most of the eggs look good.  Another pair that I'm going to offer on Aquabid spawned at the same time.  I turned their light off.  They got along just fine and today I don't see a single white egg.  Ain't that just the way it goes?

Mugwump

LOL...yep they are sometimes.....as you did, just some kind of light helps some...it doesn't have to be a beacon....if I have side by side spawns, I'll even alternate lights...
Jon