• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 12:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

HB pair 2nd spawn..

Started by Mugwump, August 30, 2014, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..about 8 days, they're settling in a routine with this 2nd spawn....it's tthere's, we'll see if they'll raise em....perfect spot too, a nice broad anubias leaf....hope he got em all...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I love that pair if I do say so myself.  I hope they do right and raise them.  Sometimes they don't :'(.  I have a pair that I'm going to give a third chance to before I pull the cone.

Most Angel people don't care about parent raising.  My belief is that if instinct is not bred for it will be lost.  Just look at a beef cow compared to a Dairy Cow.  Any stranger can walk up to a Dairy cow and take it's new born baby away.  The mothering instinct has been bred out.  A beef cow who gives birth in the pasture will try to kill anyone who gets close to her kid.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Wouldn't you just know.  The pair that I'm giving a third chance is going at it now.  Best of luck to both of us.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 30, 2014, 02:32:43 PM
I love that pair if I do say so myself.  I hope they do right and raise them.  Sometimes they don't :'(.  I have a pair that I'm going to give a third chance to before I pull the cone.

Most Angel people don't care about parent raising.  My belief is that if instinct is not bred for it will be lost.  Just look at a beef cow compared to a Dairy Cow.  Any stranger can walk up to a Dairy cow and take it's new born baby away.  The mothering instinct has been bred out.  A beef cow who gives birth in the pasture will try to kill anyone who gets close to her kid.

'au contraire'....lots of folks go for parent raising pairs...I think most current angel keepers lack the skill, and patience, to artificially raise them....yanking a spawn has a certain methodology involved that folks have trouble grasping...ie...keeping the tank(s) as clean as possible, perfecting a feeding technique, etc...even with scripted directions, it takes a bit of 'trial and error' to master...you have to be able to think as you go too, because each spawn brings it's own character to the forefront ..
I know of two breeders in Chicago, one well known, that still have trouble tank raising fry....and after many, many years in the hobby....they sell off the pairs that don't quickly, because of it....LOL...I even got one of those 'rejects'....they raised em from day one here....LOL....

and good luck with your pair.....this time they'll get it right,,, ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I am sure that I could jump through the hoops of artificial if I had to.  I really don't want to.  It's contrary to nature. 

If my pair doesn't do right this time I will figure something out.  I may put my male with huge strong fins in  smaller tanki with several female standards. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 30, 2014, 03:44:12 PM
I am sure that I could jump through the hoops of artificial if I had to.  I really don't want to.  It's contrary to nature. 

If my pair doesn't do right this time I will figure something out.  I may put my male with huge strong fins in  smaller tanki with several female standards.

Liz, I don't think you'd have any trouble with raising a spawn....you've got the the 'feel', the 'touch' with fish keeping......bend, adjust, go with it attitude....just make it work.... ;D ;D
Jon

Mugwump

No bad eggs, so far...they're tending when they aren't begging for food when I pass by....LOL... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

YOurs are doing better than mine.  My eggs are gone this morning.  I'm going now to introduce him to several more lady friends.

LizStreithorst

I did as I said.  I took out the old female and put in 3 other standards.  One turned out to be a male so I took him right back out.  One of the females was plump the other was not.  The plump one started beating up on the non plumb so I removed her.  Now the male and miss plump are cleaning the cone with a vengeance.

Mugwump

Some whities are showing up and they're picking them off nicely....about 1/2 a spawn left....wiggler day tomorrow, let's see how many make it...???....if they're gone, then their tank gets a very thorough cleaning... ;D.....the 'works'....I want to eliminate that from the list of possibilities...the water is perfect, but perhaps a good gravel clean will help make a difference for next time....???
Jon

Mugwump

eggs go poof........next time.... ;D.....changing my mind, maybe......might pull em...???...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Rats.  That sounds like a good idea, though.  At least you'll find out whether the problem is with the fertility of the male or if the pair just enjoys eating their children.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 01, 2014, 09:39:48 AM
Rats.  That sounds like a good idea, though.  At least you'll find out whether the problem is with the fertility of the male or if the pair just enjoys eating their children.

They're not egg eaters, I'm pretty sure of that...just need to fine tune their parental skills.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Please 'splain me this.  If the eggs turn white and then are gone how can it be other that either a fertility or egg eating problem?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 01, 2014, 11:37:52 AM
Please 'splain me this.  If the eggs turn white and then are gone how can it be other that either a fertility or egg eating problem?

'Whities' can be caused by environment, parent neglect, the spawn surface, etc....fertility is normally not a concern....if they scarf the 'whities', this is a good thing...it removes a potential source of bacteria build up within the other 'good' eggs in the spawn.....
Jon