• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 326
Total: 326

Lid Hinges

Started by BillT, December 02, 2012, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

I am think about making lid hinges for tank tops (lying flat) and for a vertical door on a tree frog tank I am constructing.
I could buy some "aquarium hinges" on line but the pictures are poor and they seem expensive. I have not seen any in local stores.

The fish tank tops seems pretty simple since they will be laying flat on top of the tank most of the time. I figure I will probably end up using some tape that will (hopefully) handle the humidity well. Maybe tyvek tape (construction tape), duct tape, or?? Any suggestions?

The frog tank is different because the door is hanging vertical and the hinge will have to continuously support the weight of the door (glass). I read somewhere about making a hinge by using silicon to glue together two piece of glass separated by a gap. The silicon in the gap acts as a hinge. I am thinking I will use something like plastic screening or nylon mesh as a strengthener (like fibers in fiberglass) in the silicon and give it a try. Anyone tried anything like this?

Does wax paper work well as something that silicon does not stick to?

Mugwump

I have a buddy that makes his own too...he just glues/caulks cabinet knobs on and lifts them off when need be, the front panel is cut narrower...tighter and easier....would that work for you??...better than tinkering with a hood flap...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

Use the rubber sheet fro a shower pan liner. Cut a strip as wide as you need for a hinge and apply a line of gorilla glue down each side a stick the liner to it.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BillT

QuoteI have a buddy that makes his own too...he just glues/caulks cabinet knobs on and lifts them off when need be, the front panel is cut narrower...tighter and easier....would that work for you??...better than tinkering with a hood flap...??

Might work for the tank lids. Also reminded me of some sliding tops I had made in the past. Had a plastic or glass layer slide over a hole in a lid and had stops glued on either side and one end to keep it in place. Even managed to have a rubber band arranged to snap it shut.

QuoteUse the rubber sheet fro a shower pan liner. Cut a strip as wide as you need for a hinge and apply a line of gorilla glue down each side a stick the liner to it.
Cool. I'll have to try that. Gorilla glue is a great material (as long as you keep it off your hands).

Frank The Plumber

I think acetone works for that.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BillT

QuoteI think acetone works for that.

Plastic gloves also.

BillT

Off to do errrands.
I'll check out some shower pan liner.

LizStreithorst

I'm no help, but I want to see what you do.  All my tanks need tops.  Tops cost a lot.  I can't afford them.  I'll need to have my glass cut to accomdate the Magums as well.   I know a good glass place where I can have it done.

A top quality duct tape would work, but it will rot over time and God knows what will be dropped into your tanks.  I'd never before heard of Trevek tape, so I looked it up.  It seems ideal if it will stick to glass.  Please let me know how it goes.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Lord, when I was in environmental remediation we had everything made from tyvek.... the armor of the hazardous waste crew LOL

Dennis

BillT

The tape is not made of Tyvek, but it is used for taping Tyvek sheets. Tyvek sheets are used for controlling humidity and cold in construction. It sticks to everything (plastic sheet, old wood, insulation, hair, your hands, etc.) very well.