• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 04:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 322
Total: 322

Cone full of wigglers

Started by LizStreithorst, August 20, 2014, 08:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on August 25, 2014, 08:08:09 AM
When I had many different types breeding fish I spent a lot of time observing them. Two of the things I miss most are:

The angel parents grabbing those mutineers and chucking them back on the slate like darts.

Watching the tails pop out of BN eggs hatching was pretty cool as well. I'll bet you're wondering how I pulled that off. Well, I would pull the eggs that the problem Dads kicked out of the cave and keep them suspended in a net in the return flow of the filter. If you were around at just the right time, you could watch them hatch.

I've watched the BN's eggs too...if you're around at the right time, it's amazing....most all our BN pairs are in with angels, they spawn fine, but do to the tank population, they wouldn't survive long...so when I want the spawn, I pull cave/dad/eggs, etal...then pop in a 5gal....they hatch, shake the rest out and return dad/cave back to their tank..... ;D....I'll snag an algae'd covered rock(s) out of tank somewhere and put it in for them to forage on between meal...wood's already in there too..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I moved the multitudes from a 20 to a 29 yesterday.  They're starting to look like Angels but they're still too young to be able to cull.  Since both parents are ps I'm interested in seeing how many deformed ones I have.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I put on my glasses and had a good long look.  I can't tell about the pelvics yet, but there are many that seem to be missing a doeral or ventral.  Good thing Mug told me to expect this with pearls or I'd be thinking that I'd done something terribly wrong.  Good thing as well, that I the pair produced multitudes.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 10, 2014, 02:51:35 PM
I put on my glasses and had a good long look.  I can't tell about the pelvics yet, but there are many that seem to be missing a doeral or ventral.  Good thing Mug told me to expect this with pearls or I'd be thinking that I'd done something terribly wrong.  Good thing as well, that I the pair produced multitudes.

In fairness to the pair, let em grow some more before culling any....those 'nubs' might grow more on some of hem....pea/nickle will tell the tale...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

OK.  I'll wait.  I would have only culled ones that looked like swimming orange bellies at this point, but if you say I should wait, I shall wait.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 10, 2014, 03:27:18 PM
OK.  I'll wait.  I would have only culled ones that looked like swimming orange bellies at this point, but if you say I should wait, I shall wait.

It's one of those 'just in case' scenarios...who knows??
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know.  Fins don't come out of nowhere.  But you suggested that I wait so I shall wait.  I sure will be watching them hard between now and dime size.  It will be a long dang time before they get to be dimes.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 10, 2014, 03:54:35 PM
I know.  Fins don't come out of nowhere.  But you suggested that I wait so I shall wait.  I sure will be watching them hard between now and dime size.  It will be a long dang time before they get to be dimes.

Only a few weeks.....if you see really bad ones...zap em....borderline, give em a chance....that's all.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst