• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 11:45:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 138
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

CO2 in the planted fish/shrimp harboring aquarium

Started by Ron Sower, December 01, 2012, 11:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Hi Folks!

I'm starting this thread  topic because I'm thinking seriously about setting up CO2 when we get back into our home and that an overdose may lead to CO2 poisioning of our fish. 

We have a highly populated, heavily planted, 54g with 2 large caniter filters on it, no airstone, but constantly moving water surface.   From my past education, I learned that most of the O2 absorption in an aquarium occurs at the surface.

Question #1....Is the current thinking that the highest O2 absorption rate is still at the surface of the water column?  (Any studies to support this?)
Question #2....How does one determine the balance of CO2 injection so as not to poison the animals in the tank? (Is trial and error the only way?)

Thanks for feedback,
flr
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 01, 2012, 11:12:51 AM
Question #1....Is the current thinking that the highest O2 absorption rate is still at the surface of the water column?  (Any studies to support this?)

There is some transfer from plants and fish under the surface of the water, but most is transferred at the surface, both in and out of the water.

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 01, 2012, 11:12:51 AM
Question #2....How does one determine the balance of CO2 injection so as not to poison the animals in the tank? (Is trial and error the only way?)

The amount of dissolved CO2 in the water will change your pH.  There are charts on the Internet that will show the correlation as well as optimum levels.

Dennis

Mugwump

You might try a 2 litre pop bottle DIY unit first.....they are not big enough to bother your PH and do a nice job, and are cheap/easy to run....I have a couple and Scott rigged a nice setup for his....perhaps he'll chime in....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I stopped using the 2 litter bottle and started using pressurized CO2. I had a few CO2 bottles from when I was into paintball. I got  adapter for the bottle off ebay. I also got a bubble counter and CO2 Glass Diffuser off ebay. I just try and get a bubble a second from the counter and everything has been good. I like it better than dealing with the yeast and sugar mixture. And I didn't like cleaning out the old mixture out. 
Scott

Ron Sower

What I have are 2 - 24oz paintball bottles that Aron alerted me to.  The lady I got them from happened to be someone that I've bought fish from in the past and I loved going to her house to see her fish and her beautiful planted tanks.  So those are the 2 setups I'll start with.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 02, 2012, 02:01:15 PM
What I have are 2 - 24oz paintball bottles that Aron alerted me to.  The lady I got them from happened to be someone that I've bought fish from in the past and I loved going to her house to see her fish and her beautiful planted tanks.  So those are the 2 setups I'll start with.

Just a reminder....watch Aron and any projectile.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....like corn..did you ever ask him about the dimple in the bottom of good wine bottles???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Once upon a time, in a place not so far away.........

Jon

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

P4Angels2

after the great meeting of the minds with an auzzie and Illinoisians and Iowans...

The Ox Yoke Inn will never be the same

Mugwump

It was a wild and fun time amongst good friends....
Jon

Mugwump

and I never did find out about the remote computer camera that Aron had ??..it was mounted where??? ;D
Jon

P4Angels

b125killer

This sounds like the beginnings of a good story.
Scott