• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 04:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 306
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 303
Total: 303

Blue Marble pair

Started by Mugwump, July 24, 2014, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I think that I'm going to mix this pair up a bit....they seem stuck on 'nada'....I might try a PB marble/ PB leopard pair, and a PB marble/Pinoy Leopard pairing...???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't know if this trick works with Angels but it often works with Discus...You introduce another male into the breeding tank and the female decides to get down to business with one of them.  IME she usually prefers her long time friend to the "intruder".
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 01:30:08 PM
I don't know if this trick works with Angels but it often works with Discus...You introduce another male into the breeding tank and the female decides to get down to business with one of them.  IME she usually prefers her long time friend to the "intruder".

Yes, that's one trick...another is put em both in a bucket for an hour...then change the tank a bit, do a cool water change and plop em back in.....the thought of a new home rekindles the urge....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Good luck with them. Would you still get a percentage of pb marbles out of them pairings?
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on July 25, 2014, 05:39:57 PM
Good luck with them. Would you still get a percentage of pb marbles out of them pairings?

Yes, as well as Pb smokies, Pb zebras, PB marbles with a zebra, smokey, marble, etc....nice mix....
Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

I would prefer it if you were to try one of the tricks before you re-pair them.  I want fry from this pair.  I have a breeding plan in place.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 06:41:53 PM
I would prefer it if you were to try one of the tricks before you re-pair them.  I want fry from this pair.  I have a breeding plan in place.

I have another pair forming.....no worries, there will be PB marbles  ;D..keep in mind that the ones that I have are carrying other genes as well.....some have a stripeless, and/or a zebra already...
Jon

wsantia1

Good luck with them Jon.  I too may be interested in some PB Marbles.   ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I guess I'll just decide to be up for an adventure.  For some stupid reason I assumed that they were pure.  It will make selecting a whole lot interesting.

The ones I'm getting from Barb are mutts, too.  I'll be in for a fun ride if things work out for the fry I want from both of you. 

I want to make blue marble pearl scales.  I'm sure they exist already, but I don't mind reinventing the wheel.   

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 07:54:10 PM
I guess I'll just decide to be up for an adventure.  For some stupid reason I assumed that they were pure.  It will make selecting a whole lot interesting.

The ones I'm getting from Barb are mutts, too.  I'll be in for a fun ride if things work out for the fry I want from both of you. 

I want to make blue marble pearl scales.  I'm sure they exist already, but I don't mind reinventing the wheel.   

sad to say that one of mine is a 'pearl'....*shudder*....
Jon

LizStreithorst

goodie, goodie, goodie, you poor dear.  If one has the thingamabob, others are het for it ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 08:26:12 PM
goodie, goodie, goodie, you poor dear.  If one has the thingamabob, others are het for it ;D

not necessarily.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Time will tell...I'm surprised that you didn't cull the fish when you first saw the "defect".  I'd like very much to see a pic of the fish.  I want to see how it looks on a marble.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 25, 2014, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 08:26:12 PM

not necessari ;D

It's a simple recessive, Mug.  If your blue marbles come from the same parents, the gene is here, waiting to pop up when you least want to see it. 

It's a fun gene because either they don't hatch, the parents cull them for you as they free swim, bad ones are easy to spot and do in yourself, and you're left with the strong ones. What's not good about that?