• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Zebrafish lab video

Started by BillT, July 22, 2014, 04:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Here is a nicely done video of a very modern (they have a robot fish feeder) zebrafish lab giving a fairly good idea of what they do:

http://www.alnmag.com/videos/2014/07/breeding-zebrafish?et_cid=4060457&et_rid=651558105&type=cta

However, the number of genes the zebrafish has is closer to 30,000 than what the video says.

Mugwump

...quite the set up there... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That was interesting.   What is "stimulated by mesh to breed"?  I see that a mesh basket is dropped into the tank. What purpose does it serve?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

QuoteWhat is "stimulated by mesh to breed"?  I see that a mesh basket is dropped into the tank. What purpose does it serve?

This is one company's way to collect a lot of eggs from a large number of fish.
Most of the fish are kept in bare tanks.
An different tank bottom attracts the fish to breed there. Marbles are an older method that works. Gravel probably would also but the eggs would sit on top and get eaten. The eggs have to be out of reach of the adults or they will get eaten. The mesh is also attractive. Often fake vegetation is included which is an added attractant. Goldfish swimming through vegetation are supposed to be stimulated to release eggs by the plants hitting their sides.

The mesh thing they were using is on top of a funnel connected by tubing to a air lift tube which sucks the eggs out of the bottom of the funnel up and into a plastic tube with a smaller size mesh that retains the eggs where the eggs are collected and easily removed. Someone held up one of these collectors that had some eggs in.

These are used to get eggs for doing experiments and manipulations on at early stages. A single person can inject hundreds of eggs in a few hours. The first cell division occurs at 40 minutes after fertilization making a 2 cell embryo. After that the cells divide synchronously (all pretty much at the same time) until the embryo has gone through 10 divisions (making 1024 cells).
Often people want to inject things into the eggs at or before the eggs have divided up to get what they inject to all the cells. This can be done for many reasons: labeling cells with a fluorescent marker (usually at a later time), using molecules to block specific genes (simulating a mutation), adding DNA to get it into the genome (like a glofish which has a gene for a fluorescent protein added), adding RNA to fix a mutation (which shows what the gene does), and other things.

PaulineMi

Thanks for the explanation Bill
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

PaulineMi

Happened across this on You Tube. It shows the danio egg development over a 24 hour period.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJjLzyioWM

BillT

Nice movie you found Pauline!

Mugwump

Just watched this....yep, nice find Pauline.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson