• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 11:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 330
Total: 332

EL wire works under water

Started by BillT, November 29, 2012, 06:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

I got some EL (ElectroLuminescent) wire to see if it would work under water and to see how bright it is.
EL wire has a central core wire surrounded by a layer of plastic (which emits the light). Around this is spiralled another wire which does not touch the inner wire. This is then enclosed in a clear plastic tube. Its about 1.0 mm in diameter and has been used in clothing. The two wires act as a capacitor with the photo-emitting plastic between them. When operating a voltage oscillates at about 1,000 cycles/sec activating the inner plastic sheath to emit light. It is more efficient than LEDs at turning electricity into light. Not all that bright though. I was wondering if dunking it under water would change its capacitive properties and prevent it from working.

EL wire with the lights off:

EL wire with the lights on:

Mugwump

Is that the same as the light rope that you buy???....I'm thinking of putting some along my steps going downstairs....

found it....here's a link....you can get a variety of things with this technology..even tape...

http://www.ellumiglow.com/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

That's awesome! :) What exactly are you trying to use it for though?
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BillT

QuoteThat's awesome! :) What exactly are you trying to use it for though?

Don't really know. Just wanted to get my hands on it so I could check it out. It does not seem to be bright enough for illumination purposes.

The backup plan is give it my daughter for x-mas. Maybe she can sew it into something, like for halloween.

QuoteIs that the same as the light rope that you buy???....I'm thinking of putting some along my steps going downstairs....

found it....here's a link....you can get a variety of things with this technology..even tape...

http://www.ellumiglow.com/
That is a very cool link.
the light ropes I have usually seem are just made with little lights or LEDs in them. Your link has EL wire and sheets also though.

Mir

Quote from: BillT on November 29, 2012, 08:38:49 PM
QuoteThat's awesome! :) What exactly are you trying to use it for though?

Don't really know. Just wanted to get my hands on it so I could check it out. It does not seem to be bright enough for illumination purposes.

The backup plan is give it my daughter for x-mas. Maybe she can sew it into something, like for halloween.
ooo that's a good idea. that would be really neat for creepy glowing clothes. Maybe a good purpose for it would be to make kids visible to cars when trick or treating... They probably wouldn't like having some big electricity source attached to them though, lol
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BillT

QuoteMaybe a good purpose for it would be to make kids visible to cars when trick or treating... They probably wouldn't like having some big electricity source attached to them though, lol

Humm, could be mounted on bicycles. Power source is two AA batteries.

Since my daughter is a drummer in a band, she could put it on her drum set. Might look cool in dark places.

Mir

Quote from: BillT on November 30, 2012, 12:34:32 PM
QuoteMaybe a good purpose for it would be to make kids visible to cars when trick or treating... They probably wouldn't like having some big electricity source attached to them though, lol

Humm, could be mounted on bicycles. Power source is two AA batteries.

Since my daughter is a drummer in a band, she could put it on her drum set. Might look cool in dark places.
oh, it only needs two AAs? I thought it would have needed something bigger. that's really cool. It would look awesome on drums :)
<3 Miranda