• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 08:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,325
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

HB wigglers

Started by LizStreithorst, July 10, 2014, 06:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

They have just barely started wiggling.  It's a first time pair.  They are out of a standard finned female and a veil male.  They are both Zebra hb's.  They are a son and daughter from my number one pair.  I'd decided to keep the pair rather than sell them because IMHO they are good and suit one another well and their parenting skills are excellent.  The male bites me during WC ;D

No promises until the kids free swim.  Some pairs eat them when they free swim :'(  I have a good feeling about this pair, though.  If all goes as I hope, these will be the little 'uns that I give for the price of shipping to our current members who want a net full.

I'll take pics when the time is right. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Best of luck with them Liz.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

+1..... ;D   you can put me on the list for some, yeppers  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Good luck with those wigglers. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
+1..... ;D   you can put me on the list for some, yeppers  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But Mug,  they're both het for pearl scale.  You dislike that as much as I dislike DD's.  If you want some, you're first on the list.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 10, 2014, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2014, 06:10:56 PM

But Mug,  they're both het for pearl scale.  You dislike that as much as I dislike DD's.  If you want some, you're first on the list.

trust me, I'll weed out the pearl scale...LOL.... ;D....with that combo, you'll get 25% HB, 25% HB pearls, and 50% 'hets' for pearl...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You really want to breed them ;D ;D ;D ;D?  Yes, you can weed the pearl scale out, but it will take a lot of generations.  The recessive genes may find one another for generations.  One never knows what evil lurks when it comes to recessive genes ???

I worked hard to introduce the gene.  You'll have to work hard to make yourself free of it :-*

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 10, 2014, 07:13:45 PM
You really want to breed them ;D ;D ;D ;D?  Yes, you can weed the pearl scale out, but it will take a lot of generations.  The recessive genes may find one another for generations.  One never knows what evil lurks when it comes to recessive genes ???

I worked hard to introduce the gene.  You'll have to work hard to make yourself free of it :-*

A well planned cross should do most the work..... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

If you can rid yourself of the gene I worked to get in there in one breeding, you are a better breeder than I am.  A recessive gene can lurk around in the background for 'bout ever.   Best of luck to you, Mug  :D

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 10, 2014, 08:15:41 PM
If you can rid yourself of the gene I worked to get in there in one breeding, you are a better breeder than I am.  A recessive gene can lurk around in the background for 'bout ever.   Best of luck to you, Mug  :D

It won't be one breeding, just maybe a cross to a HB PB without pearl....increasing the odds to 50/50 of no pearl....if I get lucky and select a hb/hb on the first try....I'll know by the offspring pairing counts...who knows...??...I've gotten rid of a gold that way..... ;D
Jon

ghonk

Simple,yes.Just breed them to a pearl,until you find the one's that don't carry it.

ilroost

Best of luck with them Liz

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on July 10, 2014, 10:12:56 PM
Simple,yes.Just breed them to a pearl,until you find the one's that don't carry it.

That'll work too....a sharp eye can sometimes spot a 'het' pearl...the area around the dorsal base and caudal fin base pop a pearl 'orphan' scale.....
Jon

Barb

Jon, for the uninformed (me) can you tell what you have against the pearl scale?  My solid white, blue pearlscale is simply gorgeous.  He and his lady are in their own tank now, getting ready to spawn.  She is the blue, black and white marble.  I don't know about angel genetics, I just enjoy beautiful ones as my pets, for 43 years now.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on July 12, 2014, 11:34:58 AM
Jon, for the uninformed (me) can you tell what you have against the pearl scale?  My solid white, blue pearlscale is simply gorgeous.  He and his lady are in their own tank now, getting ready to spawn.  She is the blue, black and white marble.  I don't know about angel genetics, I just enjoy beautiful ones as my pets, for 43 years now.
Barb

Barb, that beautiful Plat pearl was likely one of the 20-30% survivors, if that, which didn't have nubs/missing/splayed or crooked ventrals.....the rest either died, or were culled. Pearl scale, especially in Plats, is responsible for more culls that any other trait.....
While I acknowledge that it looks good on several phenotypes, it's a scourge to a breeding line.
-  If I wanted pearls, I would breed them as a separate line and never cross in to anything else here.
- Imagine obtaining a long sought after pairing for your 'specific' line, then discovering upon breeding F2 fry that you have the cursed pearl.....it stinks, trust me....LOL....time, and genes lost....

Jon