• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 04:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Plats spawned....

Started by Mugwump, July 02, 2014, 10:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...let's see if they do better this time???...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

My pair is tending to a bunch of wigglers. I'm trying to wait another day before pulling some. I hope the pair doesn't get too nervous before then.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

My plat spawn is still alive. :D they should start free swimming soon. When I took them off the slate I put them on top of the sponge filter. I figured they might have a better chance if I keep them off the bottom. So far I haven't lost any of the wigglers. 
Scott

Mugwump

This the second day for them, lots of white eggs from not tending properly...it's the usual for them....they'll raise 50, or so, if goes as in the past...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

My Plats are still tending.  Wigglers that fall off are being caught and put back on the glass (they spawned on the glass ::)). I have been leaving the blue led lights on at night.
Willie

wsantia1

Jon & Scott, are your Plats throwing Albinos.  I'm looking at my wigglers and there are a bunch of Albinos in there.  The albinos look healthier than when I pull and try to raise them myself.  Maybe I'll get a couple of good ones this time.

Parents still tending this morning but I may be pushing my luck in the community tank.  May take my share of wigglers later today.

Funny, I won't even look at them directly because I don't want them to get more nervous.  They have been doing a very good job of fanning so far but these guys have never parent raised.
Willie

Mugwump

I think that I saw albinos in one of the spawns??....not sure tho....I should pull a spawn, I'm sure that I can get more survivors than the parents are getting.....
Jon

PaulineMi

Quote from: wsantia1 on July 03, 2014, 06:46:52 AM
Jon & Scott, are your Plats throwing Albinos.  I'm looking at my wigglers and there are a bunch of Albinos in there.  The albinos look healthier than when I pull and try to raise them myself.  Maybe I'll get a couple of good ones this time.

Parents still tending this morning but I may be pushing my luck in the community tank.  May take my share of wigglers later today.

Funny, I won't even look at them directly because I don't want them to get more nervous.  They have been doing a very good job of fanning so far but these guys have never parent raised.

Here's Willie passing the tank...... 8)  ::)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

...Mine were toast....chomp.... :o
Jon

b125killer

I haven't see any albinos but I wasn't really looking for them. I'll have to take a better look. I'm nervelessly waiting for them to free swim. they migrated from the top if the sponge to the bottom. I'm hoping they will start to free swim tomorrow.
Scott

wsantia1

I snatched about 30 plat wigglers yesterday and the rest are ready to mutiny.  My 55 is real busy with the plats and I also have a cave full of BNs. ;D

In addition to that, my Paraibas spawned on the lift tube but those did survive longer than a couple of hours.  The sight if 6 adult angels chomping on new eggs is something. :o  They just overwhelmed that pair which joined in on the buffet. ??? 8)
Willie

b125killer

I'm pretty sure something isn't right with my plat spawn. They should of been free swimming. and there just laying there wiggling away. I can see that there yoke sack is just gone. They should be up by now. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on July 04, 2014, 09:26:55 AM
I'm pretty sure something isn't right with my plat spawn. They should of been free swimming. and there just laying there wiggling away. I can see that there yoke sack is just gone. They should be up by now.

...give it time.....lots of spawns don't go by the 'timetable'  ;D
Jon

wsantia1

My Plats are trying to break away from the glass they were spawned on. ::)  The few that managed to escape wound up in the mouths of other angels as a tasty treat. Keeping my eye out for the full scale mutiny. ;D
Willie

wsantia1

Well this is on the way to total failure. >:(  First off the parents did a lousy job of getting rid of the dead eggs so fungus set in on the ones they kept. :o The ones that broke free did so right into a waiting fish mouth. ::)

The ones I pulled and put into a 5g are struggling to free swim. ??? I cleaned up a bunch of dead ones and did a good w/c with aged and heated water. ::) 

There are too many albinos and a lot of them are dying so I suspect that's causing a bacteria bloom. ::)  There are still a few of them bouncing around trying lift off into the water column.  Hopefully some will make it. 8)

Tomorrow will be the last day for them because I need to move forward and set up the breeding tanks. :-\
Willie